1829 Classic head Half cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by old49er, May 2, 2016.

1. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Hi all, what would you give this coin for a grade? Its a half cent in my type set. thanks in advance 1829 halfcentclassichead obv.jpg 1829 halfcentclassichead rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I'm thinking VF-30

old49er likes this.
  4. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

going to say vf 20 with environmental issues. Looks pitted on obverse.

Paddy54 and old49er like this.
  5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I think XF-40 is quite possible.
    The pitting mentioned above may be from the original planchet.
    This series is noted for substandard planchets made in England before the US could make their own.

Paddy54 and old49er like this.
  6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No the latter classic head half cents typically come on good quality planchets. (I believe you are thinking of the classic head large cents.)And the english planchets were normally much better made quality. The reason they often had problems when they got here was from how they were handled in shipping. (Being heavy they tended to be loaded on board ships first and were stored i the bottom of the ship. I wasn't unusual for them to spend months down in the bilges submerged in salt water before they were hauled out and delivered to the Mint.)

TypeCoin971793 and old49er like this.
  7. old49er

HI all, best regards. and many thanks for feedback. I,m learning a lot. I love these coins and their history...

8. old49er

Hi all , Thanks very much for the feedback. I don't know jack, but I know a pretty coin... best regards and good hunting...:)

9. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

The obverse looks like it has some corrosion issues? Overall detail looks about vf30 to me.

old49er likes this.
  10. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

After some research I have to agree with you (my memory is getting poorer with time and age).
    It appears that many copper planchets, half cent and cent, were of poor quality, particularly those made in the US.
    And those imported from England stopped in 1812 when the US went to war (again) with England.

old49er likes this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But they started up again after the war ended. As soon as the peace yreaty was signed the mint again ordered planchets from Boulton and Watt. They arrived in Dec 1815 and were stuck into 1816 large cents. The mint continued ordering planchets from B&W into the 1830's. (shipping got better and faster though)

old49er likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted