1828 Half Dollar AU 55

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by y2k95, Apr 21, 2015.

1. y2k95

y2k95 New Member

I'm looking to get a high graded bust half dollar for a type collection I want to start. I found this on ebay an AU 55 from NGC for 499.95 obo. The NGC guide says its $625 and numismedia FMV says $640. Should I buy the coin? If so what would be an ideal counter offer? I've never bought anything over $100 before. I normally do 10% less than FMV. If your curious the cert is 1976624-002 $_57 (1).JPG $_57.JPG What are your thoughts on eye appeal would you say this is average? Subpar? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. y2k95

y2k95 New Member

Or would this be a better one. I like the eye appeal more. Its 500 obo for AU53. $_57 (2).JPG

4. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

THE FIRST COIN LOOKS MUCH BETTER.
    I see original surfaces....the second one looks dipped a few years ago.

I would pay 400 - 450 dollars for the ngc graded coin....I wouldn't buy the pcgs graded coin, because of a possible cleaning.

Weston likes this.
  5. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

The 1828 looks over graded. I think it would be hard to get AU-55 money from that coin. Maybe why its cheap now. While the 1836 has a good grade, maybe under graded, I agree with @Rheingold about the cleaning.

Offer AU-50 money for the 1828. If not then look for other coins.

6. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

AU grey sheet bid is $285

7. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Of the two, the 1836, IMO, although dipped and scraped is the better choice. The strike (for the year) is absolutely hammered. The 1828 contrary to Rheingold IS NOT original. It was cleaned and has since retoned. The 1836, if broken out of the slab and given a few years to heal will look better.

I think both are overpriced. You can do better.

8. y2k95

y2k95 New Member

Update: The first one was sold and the dealer for the second one won't budge on price. I've been looking and I believe I found two I feel strongly about. Both NCG the first is an 1829 for $575 the second is an 1834 for $550. I would be very grateful for some advice on the quality of the coins and optimal price point.

Thanks for all the help upto this point =)

Attached Files:

9. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

The '29 looks like a nice coin, but IMO it's still overpriced. Try offering something in the 450 to 475 range.

PS:
    Check your PM

Draft saved Draft deleted