1827 U.S. Penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by DAVID J SAUNDERS, Oct 28, 2020.

1. I've had this penny for years and years, and I wanted to run this by everyone.
    1. It's an 1827 not in the best shape.
    2. On the obverse, someone stamped G. WB and 79 under it.
    3. The stamping looks as old as the penny.
    4. On the reverse, there old as the penny.

Would anyone have any idea on the stampings? How would these stamping devalue the coin? Would someone have a guess as to the age of the stampings and why would someone have stamped it? I've keyed in the stamp letters in search but nothing came up. Sounds like i'm on a fishing expedition, but I thought this would be fun posing the question.
    --David

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Most of these old coins were stamped like this to either promote there business or just someone liked it they didn't have all this technology almost 200 years ago this is one way to spread news back then.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  4. potty dollar 1878

someone might pay more for it early counter stamped coins are also popular to collect i would guess the coin was stamped in 1879 note the 79 at the bottom

5. potty dollar 1878

Your coin would grade g-4/g-4 details value is $20-$30 i don't think the counter stamp effects the value negative wise it might help it. Don't get it certified though not worth it

DAVID J SAUNDERS likes this.
  6. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I think it was foreshadowing the election of Dubya. At least that would be the joke I make when I show her off.

Nice coin and an interesting counterstamp!

7. thank you PD your replies. I think the stamp is so interesting and just makes me curious.

Draft saved Draft deleted