1827 large cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jerryc39, Oct 25, 2021.

1. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

few stains on her but not bad details. Think she makes vf-20? 31990D0C-375B-4EA5-90E7-8A71FFD7CC87.jpeg EDD29DDA-AA13-44BC-B369-C39350108228.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Nice coin but I think it’s more in the Fine range.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice but a lot closer to a V-12.

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  5. jerryc39

when I compare this coin to graded f-12 or f-15 examples on e-bay I think my coin has more detail remaining hence the vf-20 opinion.

6. Collecting Nut

The hair is the main issue. With a VF-20 the hair cords are slightly worn and the hair lines are only partially worn and well defined.
    A F-12 will have all hair lines visible and the hair cords are uniformly visible.
    Your coin is nice looking, but the hair is only showing a few lines and a small amount of the cords. Then there’s that black spot on the obverse. You also have black spots on the reverse, smaller but more of them.
    Yes I’d add that to my collection but it’s just not a VF-20.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  7. jerryc39

by strict grading criteria you are correct. I am comparing graded coins on e-bay and pcgs photo grade to come up with a slightly higher grade than yours.

8. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

The question is, why are you grading your coin based off eBay standards? :D

9. jerryc39

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  10. Collecting Nut

That coin is a bit more detailed and more than likely, received a bump in grade as it’s from a collection. That’s on the label. If broken out of the slab and sent to the same grading it would probably receive an F-15 and on a good day, be a 20. It also has no distracting marks.

11. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

as an avid LC collector, I can say this would very likely get vf20 though i would call it an f15.. Large cents below AU tend to be give slightly higher grade as so very few can escape the dreaded "details" grade

12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Remember, with today's "single" grade method, the obverse counts more toward the grade than the reverse.
    IMO the obverse of your coin is more worn than the reverse, hence I think F-15 at best.

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Nice coin N-5 R-2

jerryc39 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted