1826 Half-Cent - Presumed Fake

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by DavidTN, Apr 9, 2020.

1. DavidTN

DavidTN New Member

I have an 1826 Half-Cent (or, at least, that's what it appears to be) that has an oddity: There is no indication of the denomination on the reverse--just the laurel. Where one would expect to see "HALF CENT" (or whatever it's supposed to be), it's just a blank field in the center of the coin. I assume this is a fake coin, but one never knows. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? The pictures I have are not of the best quality, but if anyone is interested, I'll try again and post them. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Please do post pictures, and welcome aboard!

Stevearino and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I'll second that. Would love to see this. Welcome

Stevearino likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

TTIWWOP.jpg

Raizac and spirityoda like this.
  6. M.B. Dean

M.B. Dean New Member

I’d love to see a photo. Where’d you find it?

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT. There is an error known as a filled die where some characters don't show up. Bad pictures are better than none so, give it a try!

8. DavidTN

DavidTN New Member

Okay, here are a couple of shots... DSC00467.JPG DSC00473.JPG

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  9. Kentucky

Here's the reverse of an 1826 half cent from e-bay...
    [​IMG]

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Genuine, just worn and if your look close HALF CENT is still visible.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  11. DavidTN

DavidTN New Member

Sorry, but I don't see it on my coin (or your example, to be honest). The printing of "United States of America" is easily visible on my coin, but I see nothing in the center. There is nothing there...and although I fully understand that normal wear and tear would wear it down, there should still be some semblance of the imprinting. It is NOT there...which brought me to post it here to see if it was some oddity of some sort. I have no caring as to whether it is an error coin or a fake...I would just like to know the truth of it! I don't wish to be argumentative in any sense, so please don't take this as that type of argument!

12. Kentucky

Honest, it really is there.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Sorry I thought the one Kentucky posted was a better image of yours. Yours is still genuine.

14. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

@DavidTN

In your photo, the reverse is upside down. I cropped the photo and rotated it for you. I also removed a bit of the glare and added some contrast as best I could. When you take a photo, it is best not to use too much of a focused light on the coin. That can drown out details around the area where the light directly hits and cause some glare.

But, I did see the T in your original photo. I did a rough outline for you so you can see it. You have the coin in hand, so you should be able to see the T as well as the upper left (your left) of the serif N from CENT. Also, that bulge you see right above the ribbon should be the remnant of the bar under the EN of CENT.

CoinTalk-HalfCent.jpg CoinTalk-HalfCent-outline.jpg

15. DavidTN

DavidTN New Member

Thank you all very much for the assistance! I really appreciate it.

Draft saved Draft deleted