1826 Erie Canal Completion Medal HK-1000 Silver

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by BUncirculated, Jan 10, 2014.

1. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Looking to see what some of you medal collectors think of value on this. It has the original round presentation box made of maple, which I understand is quite rare to have the medal and box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found one past auction on Heritage from 2009 where a silver one, with the original box, sold for $9200.

This is not mine, but belongs to my cousin who received it from his grandfather and he received it from our great great grandfather.

I know something about these, like there were 40 struck in silver, possibly 11 struck in gold, and 150 struck on white metal, and there aren't many with the box.

Any thoughts on value?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

I've got nothing...But it looks pretty freaking cool!

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That is a really nice medal, but I don't have a clue about it's value.

Despite the apparently low mintage, I wouldn't put too, too much stock in the results of the 2009 HA sale. So often, in some situations when a rare specimen comes up for auction, there may be just a couple of bidders fighting for it. Later on, when another specimen (like this) surfaces, it doesn't sell for anywhere near the same value. I've seen this happen countless times. All I can say is that it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Chris

5. BUncirculated

What I have been able to find out is the wooden box, makes up a large chunk of the value for these as to have the medal and the original box is extremely rare. According the listing description on Heritage, they've only had 2 out the 40 struck to have the box with the medal.

6. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Nice item!.
    Here's the scoop from the SC Dollar catalog
    "Several hundred" minted in silver and white metal(pewter). They don't break down the individual metals separately. Both of them are listed as an r-6.
    I think the first thing is to determine if it's silver or pewter as it makes a big difference in the value. They don't give any weight specs in the catalog so I can't help there. My first impression from your image is that it's pewter, but that's just an opinion.
    According to the catalog the white metal one was the one issued in the wooden box.
    The price guide I have is circa 2008. In it the white metal is listed at 300 to 800 in circulated and 800 to 6,000 in uncirculated. The silver is 2,000 to 5,000 in circulated and 4,000 to 10,000 in uncirc. Probably not much help to ya as that's quite a range but it might give you some idea as to it's value.

7. BUncirculated

The break down is 11 gold, 150 white metal(or pewter) and 40 silver.

This one is the silver issue, as the bottom of the reverse of the white metal ones only have the designer's name THOMASON, the silver has C.C. WRIGHT SC, 1826, PRESENTED BY THE CITY OF NEW YORK.

Also, the prices you mentioned do they include the original maple wood box, and Collden memoir? It's extremely rare to have the medal and the wooden box, and as I mentioned above, Heritage has only sold 2 of the silver medals with the box, and the one past auction I found on Heritage it went for $9200, and that had the box, was in GU, and also included the memoir of Caldwallader Collden.

The weight specs are Gold: 43.67 grams; Silver: 29.9 grams; White Metal: 185.1 grams.

From what I've found out, the wooden box, made from a piece of maple that went from Erie to NYC on the Seneca Chief, makes up for a lot of the value because not many of those boxes have survived the years.

8. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

I don't know if the values listed would include the box or not. On some SC dollars listed, the catalog gives a separate R number if the box is included. On this one it doesn't.
    I'm sure it adds value, just how much I don't know.

9. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Are you sure you're not confusing yours with the somewhat similar British issue? Here's more examples. What I see is the white metal and silver designs were the same. http://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Ntk=SI_Titles&Ne=40&N=51+790+231+4294966900&Ntt=erie+canal

10. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

11. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

The post you quoted from me was regarding the difference in design that BU claimed. It didn't have anything to do with the box.

12. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Ah, what I thought you were saying was that it might be a British issue...

My mistake.

13. BUncirculated

The silver issue: http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1129&lotIdNo=135001

You'll notice the reverse is identical to the one I posted here.

The white metal issue: http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1100&lotNo=28821#Photo

Not the same as the one I posted here.

What you're looking for is at the bottom of the reverse near the rim. You'll also see on the white metal version, there is an inner rim and THOMASON appears between the inner and outer rims.

14. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

15. BUncirculated

The HK-1000 is the silver version.

The HK-1 is the white metal.

The Hk-1001 is the gold.

The one I posted is the HK-1000 silver version.

16. BUncirculated

Read, and replied to.

17. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

18. BUncirculated

It could be, but the weight is 29.8 grams, which is .1 under the 29.9 grams the silver versions were.

The white metal versions, weighed 185.1 grams.

Draft saved Draft deleted