1826/5 large cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jerryc39, Jun 1, 2021.

1. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

This one could qualify under mrweaselluv's $20 large cent category. Not bad for $22 shipped. Pics are not great but surfaces look decent. G-6 ish?? https://www.ebay.com/itm/402878627144

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

How could you possibly tell that it was a "6 over 5" from that image under mylar? Do you have a better photo outside of the 2x2?

4. jerryc39

you can tell by the position of the 6th star pointing left of coronet tip. The leaf position midway between S and O on reverse is also telling. Lastly the 26 in the date is off to the right of the 18 more than the other die varieties.

yakpoo likes this.
  5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Who would list this with that lousy pic of the obverse?? That said, it's probably better than it looks. Not long ago, I got a 1868 2¢ piece. The pic was too dark to see it well, but it was cheap and I took a chance. I was pleasantly surprised. It was almost VF.

Omegaraptor and Timewarp like this.
  6. jerryc39

sometimes people are lazy with their pics. Taking it out of the holder and having better lighting would have helped a lot.

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I haven't worked with Large Cents for some years, so I pulled out my ©1956 Howard Newcomb "United States Copper Cents 1816-1857" to verify the diagnostics. I know there is an 1826/5 cent, but for some reason I don't seem see the overdate listed in Newcomb's book. Hmmm...

8. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

From coin facts hard to tell by those pictures. 20210601_154421.jpg

yakpoo and jerryc39 like this.
  9. jerryc39

there also is a die chip off 13th star and a very subtle 5 over the 6 but in those pics you can't see them.

10. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

jerryc39 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted