1825 Half Cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Eric the Red, Mar 9, 2021.

1. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

@Eric the Red. Welcome to Coin Talk. If it were mine I'd have it graded but not conserved. If looks fine the way it is. You jumped right in, joining Coin Talk and PCGS, apparently at the same time. Looking forward to see more of your coins. :)

Eric the Red likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Well-Known Member

Thank you Thomas.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  4. Eric the Red

Thank you.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The 1825 half cent you have is listed as Cohen variety #2 for 1825. It is the more common of the two varieties that are known from that year.

It might be the photograph, but the color appears to be something other than original. I could be wrong because photos can play tricks on you.

As to the grade, I would say EF. I don't know that it is worth the expense to have it certified. Many copper collectors are not fans of certification in any case.

By all means, don't clean it or allow anyone else to clean it. There is no upside to cleaning circulated copper coins other than to remove some lose dirt.

6. Eric the Red

Thank you John. Excellent post. Very informative.

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Thanks John for the update on the variety. This coin should never be touched, except within a coin cabinet. I think this coin could go as high as 58 on the market. But, I wouldn't go higher than AU50 unless I was buying it in hand. Beautiful piece of history, one I would be proud to own.

Eric the Red likes this.
  8. Eric the Red

Thank you all. CT is a great place . You are a great help.

Draft saved Draft deleted