1823 Capped Bust Half Grade and Variety Help

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by slamster17, Sep 15, 2015.

1. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Picked this one up in a lot at auction and it is my first CBH. I have been intrigued by them for a while now and am happy to finally own one. However I don't know much about them and would love some help and opinions as to what variety it may be and would love some opinions on what it would grade. Looks great in hand, aside from that one nasty scratch near her chin and whatever that mark on her neck is...

Attached Files:

UnCommonCents and jj00 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This one's fun for the attributor, because the relationship between Star 7 and the cap is only seen on two of the 14 Overton varieties for 1823. Choosing between the two is easy based on the reverse details. You're looking at O-103, I think, considered R.2 but available in high grade so you probably don't see a premium in grade for this one. I have it at VF25-ish.

That circular mark on the neck is a centerpunch, as-struck.

jello and slamster17 like this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I agree with your assessment. I'd put it at a low VF, and its too bad about the gouge in the field in front of her face. The rest of the coin looks attractive though, so congrats on your first Bustie!

To elaborate on the "centerpunch," for those unfamiliar: When the die-cutter was sinking a new die (that is, when he was punching the letters and numbers into the die), he used a template to ensure that they were all the same distance from the center. He would punch a tiny divot in the center, and then trace a circle from there. Usually, the punch would be very light and he would buff it out. Sometimes, he forgot and you'll see the punch on the neck (or, in the center of the shield on the reverse). These are interesting marks, and can help diagnose a variety.

jello, micbraun and slamster17 like this.
  5. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies! Really happy with it. I can see why this series is so popular. Pretty interesting about the center punch, after reading your response and looking at it more closely it makes a lot of sense...

6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Well-Known Member

I think Dave is right, VF-25.

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

If I wasn't already distracted by Morgans, I'd be all in with Busties. Fascinating series. :)

slamster17 likes this.
  8. Owle

Owle Junior Member

My guess is it could go as high as VF35, etc.. Lots of detail. And I would predict a straight grade, cut is in line with market acceptable IMO.

slamster17 likes this.
  9. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

10. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Premiums--regardless of grade--usually don't pick up until high R-4 to the R-5 levels. The 103 is one of--if not the--most common die marriage for the year. (There are probably more 105s, but it's close.) However, there is an unlisted die state for the 103 (103A) which is currently rated as R-6...a rarity level which definitely earns a premium from a die state collector.

Yours does not appear to be the later state, but check for a die crack on the reverse from the D in UNITED running through the letters to the edge above F of OF.

11. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

I also sent this in out of curiosity and it hasn't been graded yet, but they just marked it as O 103, so y'all were correct.

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I call it vf 30. Nice original skin

13. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I would say VF20 in my opinion.

14. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

You guys were pretty accurate on this one too. Thanks again for the assessments. This is on its way back, but here it is in its new home. Pics are from NGC.

Attached Files:

NSP and UnCommonCents like this.
  15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nice pick up.

16. medjoy

medjoy Active Member

slamster, you're off to a good start with your first CBH.
    Thanks for posting the NGC grade.

slamster17 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted