1821 capped bust quarter!!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by steve.e, Oct 14, 2017.

1. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Picked this up today at the swap meet. Could anyone give any advice on website for attribution of die marriages. 20171014_204253.jpg 20171014_204149.jpg it's got a few problems but, for what I paid I'm not complaining! Any information would be greatly appreciated. Than you all. Your the best.

CircCam and NSP like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

4. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

steve.e likes this.
  5. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Thanks @NSP I thought I had it pegged at B-4. Wishful thinking I guess. I just don't know what to look for when attributing theses. If you were to put a value on it. What would it be? My type set doesn't have a slot for these.
    I will probably be looking to sell or trade.

6. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Also should I give her a soak in acetone?

7. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

B-3 and B-4 share the same obverse die, and the easiest way to tell them apart is the size of the 5 in "25 C." The 5 is larger on B-3 and smaller on B-4.

It appears to be Fine details, and if I had to put a value in it I'd put it somewhere between $100 and $200. It's hard to put a more precise value on it since people can be fickle about problem coins (well, and non-problem coins too I suppose).

Nothing jumps out at me as something that would require an acetone dip, though the acetone would not remove any silver or toning/patina. If there is any green PVC residue/slime then it would be worth considering. It could remove some of the "dirt" that gives the coin character, so that is something you should consider (and the dirt could be hiding other surface issues that could be revealed after an acetone dip). My advice would be to wait for others' opinions.

Some other things that may add to the "coolness" factor of the coin that you may want to check out just for the heck of it:
    1) at star #12 there appears to be the beginnings of the die crack that eventually extends into Liberty's hair. In the pictures it's the light colored line connecting the denticle to the outermost point of star #12
    2) I can't tell for certain from the pictures but the coin may have clashed shield lines below Liberty's ear. If they're present, they should run nearly vertically and slightly tilted to the left.

Draft saved Draft deleted