1819/8 Capped Bust Half - Opinions - Grade - Value

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rhoggman, Jul 29, 2008.

1. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

What do you think about the CPH? Opinions, Grades, Value????

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Looks like an R-2, O-102 in AU-58 or dare I say -- MS condition. The coin is STUNNING!!! great album toning and overall tone. The finest 1819/18 example I've probably ever seen. :thumb:

Did you just acquire it?

Take Care
    Ben

4. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

I wish it were mine. It is a beautiful coin. I am going to try to aquire it.

5. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

I was also thinking it may be MS condition. The story is that it was in an album, part of an estate....

6. ryanbrooks

ryanbrooks Active Member

Very Nice! :eek: The pictures are not really close enough to grade, but it would be AU+ :) Very nice coin!

7. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

That is one nice looking coin, I see a light rub on the neck or at least thats what it looks like. Certainly a keeper in anyones book. I think it will get into the MS arena and I am pretty tough on BHD grading. Value. WHATEVER you can get it for and afford.

8. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

I think you got that right on... I checked coinzip, and all the diagnostics point to O-102.... The 5 on the reverse gives it away.

9. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Yes, it's quite slanted compared to the other 19/18s. Great coin, :D :) :D

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I would wonder why such an expensive coin wasn't slabbed, and suspect the coin's originality to be in question....Mike

11. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I feel it's genuine. Believe it or not, there is a large contingent of Bust Half Dollar collectors who prefer their coins raw. Many, rare and (Highend) AU/MS examples I've seen were simply in 2x2 flips or 'Coin-World' holders so the coin could be examined in hand if the need arises.

As you ma already know even my (low-grade; VF-30 composite grade) Bust Half Dollar collection is 95% raw as are the other Special Coins - including a MS-62/63 1908 St Gaudens & the rest of my gold coinage.

Take Care
    Ben

12. Leadfoot

Bone, I think you misunderstood me -- I don't mean originality as in real/countefeit, but originality as in AT/NT....Mike

p.s. I am well aware of the preference of some for raw coins -- I'm an avid copper collector and card-carrying EAC member, with 95%+ of my collection raw as well -- but none of that changes what I wrote above.

13. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Rhogg , go for it it's beatiful , I currently have only 1 BH in AU-53 , would like to upgrade in the future , that's 1 of the prettiest toned BH I've seen . Looks MS to me .
    rzage

14. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I simply misunderstood the meaning of your post. I'll agree also that the coin has an unusually rich tone to it "apparently" on-top of the album toning.

Ben

15. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I dunno, it has typical toning deeper on the edges fading as it gets closer to the center of the coin. That being said it is one fine fine specimen.

16. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Sweet - I would go for it. It looks easily AU-58 in my opinion.

17. rzage

I'm not sure either , but look at the gold toning on the reverse , kinda goes over the gunmetal toning at the edge , also seems to lay on the surface instead of being the surface which real toning is . Anyways it;s better to question , than not .
    rzage:smile:hatch::hammer:

18. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

The guy who is selling it claims it is NT from being in an album for 30+ years....???

I bid my limit already... we'll see if it works.

19. rzage

Good luck it's still a beatiful coin , either way .:smile:hatch::hammer:
    rzage

20. jaxsdad

jaxsdad Curmudgeon Collector

21. Leadfoot

Draft saved Draft deleted