1818 Capped Bust Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by McBlzr, Feb 15, 2014.

1. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

I got this today from an estate sale. I would like your opinions on grade and Overton number.
    Will NGC grade with the slight rim indent on the second star left side of the bust ?

100_4802.jpg 100_4803.jpg 100_4804.jpg 100_4805.jpg 100_4806.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Nice coin...maybe VF20 in my opinion, though I am not an expert on Bust Halves.

4. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

From the pictures, I am going to go ahead and say it is an O-111 R-1. This die pair shows the "I" in Pluribus is to the right of the "T" in States. Also matching a few other features up. I could be wrong. Looking at a picture is a lot different than having the coin in hand and seeing the fine die cracks that could be on the coin that may match more to a different Overton number. But from this pics, thats what I would say it is. As to NGC grading coins like this, its a gamble. I have seen coins that look just like this that have graded, and others, well, not so lucky…If I was buying this coin, I'd put it at a F-15. Wouldn't be surprised if NGC didn't put it at a 20 though!

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The reverse makes me think 25 but overall I'll say 20.

6. I'm in the 20 camp as well. I have seen a lot worse rim bumps in holders so I don't think it should be an issue.

7. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I'm with the group @ VF-20 as well.

8. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Thanks, everybody. My first thoughts were F12, but I tend to be harder on these old CBH's. At least this does not look like it has had any old cleanings, like many I have seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted