1818 Capped Bust Half Dollar/50 Cents Question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Nyatii, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

I had a wild idea last year when I was told that I'd have a new granddaughter in 2018.
    While messing around on the computer, I happened across a bunch of 1818 Capped Bust Half Dollars , and thought it would be neat to gift my new granddaughter a coin 200 years older than she was as a keep sake. She was born Jan 12, 2018.

Anyway, not having a lot to spend, I purchased the coin shown. Since I don't have knowledge of this type of coin, I just wanted to make sure it is legit since it seems there are fakes of everything. It looks good to me, but thought I'd see what everyone else says since I have 30 days to return.

What I don't know is what is normal for weight variance for a worn coin of this type. Specs say it should be 13.48 gms or 208 grns. I tared my RCBS scale and weighed the coin several times. It always comes out 13.10 gms or 202 grns. Would anyone know if this is within normal limits?

Diameter varied 32.66-32.79mm. I also used my rare-earth magnet which it didn't stick to.

Thank you in advance for your information.

1818  Capped Bust Obverse.jpg 1818  Capped Bust Reverse.jpg 1818 Capped Bust Edge - Cents.jpg 1818 Capped Bust Edge - Dollar.jpg 1818 Capped Bust Edge - Half.jpg

Sula86, CircCam and C-B-D like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yup, looks like an attractive, authentic bust half. Some good honest wear. I think its a great gift idea.

Nyatii likes this.
  4. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

What a thoughtful gift!

Nyatii likes this.
  5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Looks good to me too. The third side (edge) is the first place to look. Most counterfeits are reeded. They don't put time into them because it is hard to replicate and most people don't look at them. Nice idea.

Nyatii likes this.
  6. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

VERY SWEET THOUGHT

Nyatii likes this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice coin. Next year buy an 1819 and keep it going each year.

Nyatii and McBlzr like this.
  8. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Considering it's age and the wear on, I think it is a Proud Historical example to start
    a new journey for your granddaughter.

You made a very good choice. :)

Nyatii likes this.
  9. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Thank you everyone for the answers.

Draft saved Draft deleted