1816 Large Cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by HULLCOINS, Nov 25, 2020.

1. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

Full disclosure, I have this coin listed on eBay. A member has messaged me asking me to "guarantee its authenticity". I'm not a TPG, nor a professional grader. That being said, does anybody see anything suspect on the coin, besides scratches and a possible cleaning?

Thanks,
    HULLCOINS

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Looks OK to me .

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks good to me as well.

5. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I think the person asking is just being difficult . Who counterfeits a low priced coin?

6. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Sounds like someone you don't want to do business with...especially in an online marketplace like eBay where they will side with the buyer in most cases if he says fake coin... Or files a SNAD.

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Fakers in China crank out common date fakes by the boatload.

johnmilton likes this.
  8. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

Agreed on the common fakes- I just don't see this as one of them. Came from a coin collection where the collector died in the 1960s and the coins sat for 50 years. Contemporary counterfeits exist, but this doesn't seem to be one.

9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

It looks real to me

10. potty dollar 1878

are those rim cuds on the obverse

11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Looks genuine to me.

Who makes common date fake coins? China. They supply much of the flea market trade with common date, "circulated silver dollars."

12. John Wright

John Wright Well-Known Member

This is a genuine 1816 Newcomb-8 large cent. The long line on lower obverse and across the reverse are scratches on this coin. I would call this coin VG10, net VG8 for the scratches. The pix below are of your coin and my file-pic of Newcomb-8. 1816 N-08 3 cc--  F12 eBay.jpg 1816 N-08 3 cc-- MS64 PCGS.jpg

13. John Wright

If you want to use my comments (above) as your 'guarantee' for this coin, I am the author of the standard reference on US large cents of 1816-1839. To me, your coin is a legitimate product of the US mint in Philadelphia.

14. John Wright

Yep

15. potty dollar 1878

Thats some nice attractive toining on such an old cent this is my example it looks alot better under correct lighting the theory is it looks like it was in a fire. 20201126_105905.jpg 20201126_105854.jpg

16. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Yes your coin looks authentic. If I were the buyer I would be cautious also, better to be safe than sorry. No offense intended. Good luck.

17. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

nice coin, i look through about 10 examples and i think its a VG8 coin. looking over those examples, 6 were from NGC and the other 4 were ANACS. your coin is authentic

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted