1814 Bust Half $1/2 Counterstamp

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Treashunt, May 26, 2015.

1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

BRandM

Bruce: Sorry I couldn't find your 'Post your Counterstamps Thread'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

counterstamped JH R on the obverse and Jy. 9th 1850 21 yrs on the reverse

Also, I can't wait to get it, the y (in the quoted Jy) looks more like a dot to me.
    But, we'll see.

used as a watch fob it is holed at the bottom ??? Questionable statement

mark_h and swamp yankee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Cool counterpunched Busty Frank , It looks like a bit of engraving next to the 21 .

4. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Interesting, Frank. An unusual mix of counterstamping and engraving with a small chisel or something else. It's hard to tell what the date means, but seems to be a 21 st birthday celebration. Could be a wedding anniversary too. Whatever it is, congratulations, JHR! :)

Let us know when you get it, Frank.

Bruce

5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Could be a memorial of some sort, too. Typical gravestones of that time period cite the age of the deceased, so this could be in remembrance of someone who died Jan/July 9, 1850, aged 21 years.

rzage likes this.
  6. Treashunt

yes, looks like 'yrs'

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Like it was said either a birthday or death . Still very cool .

8. bearze34

bearze34 Active Member

I love Bust halves but counterstamps drive me nuts. I had an 1804 large cent with a counterstamp and all I could think of was how nice that coin would have been without that blasted stamping. I thought exactly the same thing when I saw this coin. There is a beauty underneath that stamp. I know some people really like them, love the history, etc. but I just like the coins.

9. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I understand how you feel, bearze, but you have to remember that when the stamp was struck many years ago it was just a coin to be spent. Other than that it didn't mean anything to the maker. The equivalent today would be if we counterstamped a Quarter with a mintage of a "bazillion" It's just a Quarter. If someone stamped your 1804 today even I would be upset :arghh:...and I collect counterstamps.

Bruce

mark_h and Jwt708 like this.
  10. Treashunt

What Bruce said.

I fully agreed.

If done today, it is nothing more than damage.

Contemporary C/S's are history

11. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice frank. I am thinking in 1850 someone turned 21 and this was to celebrate that day. Just my imagination at work.

12. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I am with messydeck on this one. I worked in a cemetery during summer breaks while in college. We had lots of old stones and giving the age of the deceased was standard on ones from a certain era.

Also, age 21 did not mean then what it means now. Back then, 21 was almost middle-aged based on lower life expectancies. I do not know if there was a drinking age back then (I doubt there was) but it must have been lower than 21.....

It would be a long shot but I wonder if you could do any research based on the intials and the date (speculating that it was a death date).

13. Treashunt

I hope for more detail when I finally get it

Thanks everyone for the comments

14. Treashunt

mail delivered to day, not here yet

Draft saved Draft deleted