1813 large cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pickin and Grinin, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Here is another that I am trying to authenticate. It looks like an S-292
    Am I missing something? Is it fake?
    I have a real hard time trying to authenticate a worn coin.
    Sorry for the bad photos they aren't mine.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

mark_h likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The reverse CAN'T be 291, and the low second 1 matches 292. Problem is the distance from the 3 to star 13 is close like on 291 not distant as it should be on 292. Of course the angled image may be throwing me off but I don't think so. It is enough to make me suspicious of the coin. Any chance for a straight on shot of the obverse (In focus images of the reverse would also be good. All I can tell for sure from these is that it can't be 291)

4. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

As for attribution, I have no clue. However im suspicious that it is fake. Look at the obverse picture from about 7 o'clock to 11. Looks like a line going along the rim, maybe from being cast.

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 8 looks bad.
    1813_large_cent_obv2.jpg 27468324_1.jpg

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

I will see if I can get some better photos. Thanks I will update the thread as soon as I get them.

7. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Interesting...

8. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

The weird angle of the picture distorts the image, but at least from the picture it
    seems the '3' is close to the stars, so in theory S-293.

The problem is that the date in S-293 i,e the size and positioning of the numerals relative to each other do not look like those in the picture:

1813 cent  - 1.jpg

Need better pictures.

9. Pickin and Grinin

I have been having the same trouble. The leaf point is under the S reverse which would say that it is a 292. I am hoping for some better photos soon.

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

11. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

12. Pickin and Grinin

I am having trouble getting the photos to CT.
    I will have to update this tomorrow.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yep, the problem is S-293 has the point of leaf below S2 as being FAR past right. This coin has it below the right edge of the S. This coin seems to have the obv of 293 and the reverse of 292.

14. Pickin and Grinin

This is the best that he could get me for Photos.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I am convinced it is a counterfeit now. The date looks goofy, like Chinese examples often do.

16. Pickin and Grinin

When I first looked at it I thought the second 1 was two low and the 8 looked weird. But then I thought it might be just gunk. After these new photos. I am feeling the same way.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The date on the real 1813's look goofy. However the denticals on a genuine one do NOT look like those shown on the new obv picture. Look at those below the 3. Those aren't denticals, those are beads. And thspacing of the 3 ans star still more closely matches 293, and the rev is 292. It's a fake. An interesting fake but still a fake.

18. Pickin and Grinin

I'd like to say that the guy that posted this. Has pulled it from the APP and said it was going to be on it's way to ANACS.

SorenCoins and Heavymetal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted