1812 LC in hand with "surprise"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrweaseluv, May 17, 2022.

1. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

The surprise was, the seller didn't show the whole slab just the coin obv/rev... I thought it looked like a slab but expected a self-slab... Nope :D Oh no.. it's cleaned!! for 22.57 I'm happy it looks this darn good :D ... this will also be the 1st anac slab I crack (just won't fit in the album like this lol)
    20220516_213044_HDR.jpg 20220516_213054_HDR.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I think it is a nice coin for sure. In the first set of photos with the closeups I saw some odd colors particularly on the reverse which likely was what prompted a cleaned designation from ANACS, which I agree with. Otherwise it is a very nice looking coin and one that I can imagine many budget collectors would like to have. I definitely would be excited about buying this one for $23 as well.

Tbh... I'd crack it too. Low grade early stuff, even valuable low grade early stuff, I greatly prefer raw.

4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Very obviously cleaned, but a wonderful example for an album. Nice one

5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

I have 3 others in slabs.. 1857 pcgs genuine, 1856 upright 5 NGC au details cleaned and an 1818 in ngc f details envdmg (though the 1818 was meant for the $20 lc set it is temp a part of my type set as not to hard to find something a bit better (the 56 was part of my recent ngc submission and even details grade will probably stay in my type set since it's an easy date to find in the 20 dollar range )
    And yeah every time i have them in hand I wanna free them from the plastic lol

SensibleSal66 and expat like this.
  6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hey! Nice Pick up. Is there any year that you don't have? The only thing I could think of was this (War of 1812):
    th.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted