1812 Cent Stamped M -new member

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by george.kurtz, Mar 3, 2015.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

OK guys.. I just wanted to state that it looks to me that it's not the letter M. I studied Greek and that is actually the symbol for SIGMA.. There is a difference if you look carefully.. Oh gosh here I go nitpicking again!
    Sigma03.JPG Sigma01.JPG

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

I wanted you guys to see my post concerning this counterstamp :eek:

4. george.kurtz

george.kurtz New Member

I have never done anything with it, I found it in a box of junk about 10 years ago, saw it was dated 1812, and put it in a display case. I just happened to be going through my cases last week, and thought to find a forum to see if anyone had an opinion. On the back side of the coin, is a deep spot of the coin missing. I am guessing this is probably environmental deterioration?

5. paddyman98

203 years have passed since your coin was minted. I think it's just wear. It must of went through so many hands, pockets, coin purses etc many times.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If a severe cud or die crack was found, the first thing they would probably do is retire the die before it shatters. Scratches and (simple) die cracks would probably be ignored. I don't believe they look for doubled dies. A strikethrough is a one-time occurrence.

One of my favorite books about the development of the U.S. Mint is From Mine to Mint (1833-1937) by Roger Burdette.

coinman1234 likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

Perhaps that is how I eventually acquired mine, a waffled MO SQ. I sold it on eBay a couple of years ago.

Chris

8. cpm9ball

Nah, I think it is my last initial which is derived from the Yiddish word, machuginah.

Chris:wacky:

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The sigma has a short center -- this one is as long as the others.

I don't think a sigma

coinman1234 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted