1812 Capped Bust

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morpheus, May 8, 2018.

1. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

Good morning. A buddy of mine has this capped bust half dollar and was looking for opinions on a possible grade. Any thoughts on a grade and reasoning would be appreciated! 1802-1.JPG 1802-2.JPG 1802-3.JPG 1802-4.JPG

Nathan401 and lordmarcovan like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'd say VF30-35, personally. I'd want to see more detail in Liberty's hair curls for an XF40. Handsome enough coin, though.

4. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

I'm thinking VF35. The reverse is a little nicer but the grade is based mainly on the obverse. If i were buying it i might pay a little more than VF35 money based on the reverse, but only a little.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I like the back (VF35), but the front looks cleaned to me.

micbraun, ldhair and C-B-D like this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Agree, but XF40. See the "shine" on the obverse, OP? Someone buffed it out decades ago and it retoned. Nice coin, though.

7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Yeah, I agree with the XF40 . . .

8. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

I don't know a lot about the history of the coin. I know that it was given to my friend by his grandmother. I know he hasn't touched it.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll go with 40 as well.

10. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

And thanks for everyones input. Really appreciated.

ldhair and C-B-D like this.
  11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am not as educated on the nuances of grade as others. This is my favorite series and this is certainly a handsome piece. I would be proud to have it. I would call it XF if it were mine.

12. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

13. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

VF-30 (or so) Overton 104...polished and retoned.

14. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

Ok everyone, so let me ask this. I have this coin posted on three different forums. One guy pointed out that the coin is missing a damn star! There are only 6 on the left side of the obverse? And there are supposed to be seven? No one has noticed this until just now. He even had a coin shop look at it and they didn't notice. So new questions. Has anyone ever seen this before? A few folks on reddit think it may be counterfeit? Another forum suggested that it has been drilled and filled? We are at a complete loss here. I do not see anything on the reverse that suggests it has been drilled. And you would think if it is a counterfeit they would at least be able to count to 7.

Thanks again for everyone who has replied so far. Hopefully someone has a nice logical answer for this lol.

15. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Can't really tell from the pics, but more than likely either a grease-filled die (most likely) or slightly mis-aligned dies.

micbraun likes this.
  16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I think it’s a VF and it won’t receive a straight grade when submitted for grading. It’s still a nice Bustie...

Draft saved Draft deleted