1811 gold- 205 hard years

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by johnmatt, Jul 30, 2016.

1. johnmatt

johnmatt Well-Known Member

Anybody got any thoughts on this little piece of history? She's been locked away in a drawer for 50 years or so and looks like she was scrubbed to death. Did they really scrub the denticles off? Think it is the tall 5 variety, right?

Attached Files:

Mad Stax and NSP like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Insider likes this.
  4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

My first guesses were:
    -- misaligned dies (not parallel or whatever they call it)
    -- uneven thickness of the planchet

5. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Nice coin! What's the story behind it if you don't mind my asking

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Ex-Jewelry piece is what I'm thinking as well. Probably had a loop attached at one time at the top of the obv.

Insider likes this.
  7. johnmatt

johnmatt Well-Known Member

She was found amongst my late father's things a few years ago. He owned a rural grocery store from 1966-1989. Probably purchased from a customer for spot whenever and whatever that was. Gonna sell the coin at some point and split $ with my siblings. What you think 3-4k?

8. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Looks like the reverse received buffing wheel treatment. Still, a nice coin!

9. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Assuming it's the real deal (not an expert by any stretch) 3-4K conservatively.

10. charlottedude

charlottedude Novice Collector

It's always a special thing to find an early Half Eagle... Cleaned, scrubbed, or completely original - either way... a great find. They're not at all common when compared to late-date HEs. The denticles are weak to non-existent due to a combination of the strike not being centered on your coin, and also because of wear the coin received over the years. As someone already mentioned, mostly likely due to being mounted in a necklace bezel or other jewelry. Cleaned or scrubbed, it's a very historic and interesting piece.

Here's a pic of my 1811 HE for comparison:
    [​IMG]

'dude

11. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I also think the coin in the OP was probably in a mount at sometime. Still a phenomenal find, so many were melted down and any survivor is special. Finds like this should give us all hope!
    Always a pleasure to see some of C.Dude's gold, too.

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Nice clashing dude!

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

repaired, probably a hole that was plugged

Obv at 12:00
    Rev: at 6:00

Gilbert likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted