1809 Classic Head Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

A new addition to my collection - 1809 Classic Head cent. The first year of the Classic Head series.
    This example does have its share of assorted nicks and scratches. However, it is still a relatively 'wholesome' example in my opinion and, most of all, free of the corrosion and verdigris which so often plagues the classic head series.

1809's often come with a weak obverse and stronger reverse, and this one is no exception. It was struck from a very lates state of the dies - VI or VII - which one may expect to also affect the strength of the strike.

Your comments are greatly welcome!

1809 Cent (2019)  OBV8 N best - better colour - 1.jpg 1809 cent 2019 rev9 N nice one also - 1.jpg

tmeyer, wxcoin, Moekeever and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

I really like this! Very nice.

Eduard likes this.
  4. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

It has seen some use. Nice example.

Eduard and Shrews1994 like this.
  5. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

A very nice specimen; thanks.

Eduard likes this.
  6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

that is a nice one Eduard :)..i've looked at a few, but haven't got one yet..

Eduard likes this.
  7. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Its that rim damage at 10 o'clock?
    If so, did it affect the price?

8. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you, ominus1.
    1809's are actually not that rare, but many are pretty beat-up with damaged surfaces. 1809's are known for this. This one is better than the average within the lower grade range.

I hope you find an example that you like soon!

It's actually a fairly light/small rim tap visible only on the obverse. It probably did affect the price a bit, not much.

ominus1 and CoinBlazer like this.
  9. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Very nice coin! I’ve always thought it’d be cool to assemble a set of these but it’s difficult to find nice examples that aren’t too pricy.

One correction... 1809 was the second year of issue for these. I often forget about the 1808 classic head large cent since the classic head half cents did actually begin in 1809.

Eduard likes this.
  10. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Shame on me! of course...
    My goal is to one day complete a die variety set of Classic Heads 1808-1809. A long way to go, yet.

11. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Planchet quality is quite good. I seem to recall that the copper came from old barrel hoops or something and the coins are often very porous.

Eduard likes this.
  12. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I spent a little time trying to find out more about the reason for the oft-cited comment that Classic Heads often come dark and corroded.
    Sources mention mention that all classic heads were struck on planchets imported from England (from the firm of Matthew and Boulton), and that the barrels/caskets containing the planchets came in contact with sea water. So this is part of the reason.

The War of 1812 and the blockade by the English navy made import from England difficult after that year, causing the US Mint to use whatever copper they could find, also stock which had been stored already for a few years and may have suffered in quality. Possibly also, as you mention, the copper bands used to hold the caskets together.
    This accounts for the fact Classic Heads of 1813 and specially 1814 being very often dark and porous.

If anybody has any additional information it would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  13. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

In my early days I used to advertise to buy old coins on signs in & around Philadelphia. While I got several classic head half cents, I've never owned or was offered a classic head cent in any grade.

Unfortunately economics at this time preclude my getting one. They're often quite pricey.

Eduard likes this.
  14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The copper planchets from England, being rather heavy, were typically stored in the lowest levels of the ship where they acted as ballast helping to stabilize the ship. Of course this meant they were pretty much the first thing loaded and the last thing unloaded and might spend several months down there in the hold. Now these ships weren't always water tight so the ballast hold would often have seawater down there. (Not to mention they were also often used as latrines as well) So these planchets would often spend several months submerged in saltwater.

ksparrow and Eduard like this.
  15. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you, Conder!
    That is the kind of information I was looking for.
    I can see how months of contact with 'saltwater plus' may affect the quality of the planchets.

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Attractive coin with some history.

Eduard likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted