1807 Capped bust half - real or fake

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by CraftPaperNinja, Feb 21, 2018.

1. CraftPaperNinja

CraftPaperNinja New Member

Hello, I am a beginner coin collector and I recently aquired an 1807 capped bust half dollar (pictured below). I am aware that these have been counterfeited in the past and I am wondering if the one I have is real or fake. I have researched the variations of the coin and I believe that mine is a counterfeit. I came to this conclusion because it appears that the spacing of the left top star is not congruent with the authentic come I've seen. Additionally, something about the rim of the coin seems odd. Again, I am very new and I am learning. So if I have missed glaring mistakes, please go easy on me. Thanks!

Attached Files:

old49er and George McClellan like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Hi, Good observations for a newby. You are correct it is a counterfeit. The Stars are a good giveaway, also notice the date? It's one of the high points on the design, but is not worn down like the hair detail is. Seems like the dates are always clear and bold on these type of fakes. See the little raised dots on Liberties face and in the left field area? Those are casting bubbles from the manufacturing process. These types are known as a cast fake. Always look for any signs of these casting bubbles and the bold dates, you will be able to spot a fake right away.

Oldhoopster and CraftPaperNinja like this.
  4. CraftPaperNinja

CraftPaperNinja New Member

Thank you very much for responding to my question! And thank you again for educating me on ways to spot fakes. I feel fortunate that I didn't spend a significant amount of money purchasing this coin, and what I did spend is worth the valuable lesson. I really appreciate your help!

old49er likes this.
  5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@old49er gives a good explanation. Whenever you see raised dots and/or pits, it's a good indication that something isn't right. These defects can also be the result of rusty dies, planchet defects, or corrosion, but when you see them, it should be a flag for additional research.

Good job doing the research and picking it out as a counterfeit. Hope you can get resolution from the seller

This reminds me of an old numismatic saying:

There are 3 types of coin collectors
    Those that bought fakes, those that will buy fakes, and those that don't know it yet

6. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

There are books on fakes that focus on key dates mainly. Modern fakes are nearly
    worthless unless they are used for an educational display. Contemporary fakes
    have value and in a few rare pieces the known contemporary fakes are worth more than the real ones. I have started a type set collection of contemporary and Chinese fakes. I can still find them for a buck apiece and under in dealer junk bins. Time will tell whether I decide to chase the pricy ones.

7. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

One other point to make. The coin you are holding is fake (that's from your own research, and the experts opinions, which I am not one of them), but, when you find a real one, no one would recommend that you hold it in your hand as you are doing. Oils from your fingers, and fingerprints, are very hard on a coin. That is one of the many things I have learned from this site. BTW, When I said "experts", I truly meant that with the utmost respect. The knowledge on this site is second to none!

Draft saved Draft deleted