1807 capped bust half dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Mikes923, May 2, 2015.

1. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Do you know his Cointalk name ? If you put an @ in front of his name he will see it .

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CHUCKCXB

CHUCKCXB Active Member

my guess is .. she wasn't born yet , if it was counter stamped in 1875

4. Mikes923

Mikes923 New Member

I called her earlier tonight. Apparently she was given all 3 from her father in the early 1930's(currently living in Iowa). All 3 had the Charles B Tate imprint since they were given to her. Background of my grandmother... She lived on a farm, 300+ acres 6 total brothers and sisters. Although the last name "Tate" has no meaning to her

rzage likes this.
  5. Mikes923

Mikes923 New Member

She was born 1921. Her parents and grandparents were farmers as far back as she can remember livestock, corn, wheat, potatoes. 300+ acres would lead me to think they produced for more than themselves. She's lived in Maryland since the early 50's.

The actual coin itself, was stowed away in leather bags, ziplock bags, for the last 50-60 years she said.

6. Mikes923

Mikes923 New Member

Apparently Iowa was not a state until 1846, Missourri 1821.

Random side notes

7. rzage

I worded it wrong , I should have said when she received them and if they were stamped when she got them . But I see Mike answered the question perfectly .

8. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Bruce @BRandM

rzage likes this.
  9. Mikes923

Mikes923 New Member

Not trying to advertise in the topic, but merely a heads up. The listing I have on eBay has about 18 hours left, ends 8:30 am Eastern time.

10. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

That's a really nice counterstamp, Mike. It was likely stamped in 1875 or around that time. The style is consistent with the period. I would guess that it's a personal piece worn on a chain or suspended by some other means. Merchants generally didn't hole their coins unless it were attached to a product they made. A merchant would also want their coin to circulate for the advertising value...this one would have been long out of circulation by then. He also would likely have used a prepared punch not individual letter/number punches like this one.

At first glance, I thought it was engraved it's so well executed. A great piece that should easily get $100. Don't be surprised if it gets more...it's worth it. Thanks for posting it, Mike.

Bruce

coinman1234 and rzage like this.
  11. Mikes923

Mikes923 New Member

Thanks! I appreciate it, I'll definitely let her know she has some nice coins.

I wish I could get a picture of the other 2, from what I remember the counter stamp and hole were almost identical on all 3 coins. The guy definitely knew what he was doing.

12. rzage

Well I'm still in the lead , I need the date , but the counter stamp has me intrigued also .

13. BRandM

I looked into Charles B. Tate a bit after my last post, Mike. Unfortunately, after only a couple of minutes I came across three men with that name. I was afraid that would be the case when looking for someone with such a common name. All you have to go on, in addition to the name, is the date. It could be an important date to the issuer...marriage, birth of a child, etc...or simply the year he stamped the coin. There's just no way to tell.

I'm sure a full blown investigation would turn up dozens of Charles B., Chas. B., C.B., or Charles Tates. There's just not enough information on the coin that would allow for a viable attribution. I've run into the same problem many times over the years. I recall once looking for a man named William W. Long. When I searched Ancestry.com I got over 40,000 hits. Never found him.

Still, a nice counterstamp. Hope you get it, rzage. Good luck!

Bruce

Mikes923 and rzage like this.
  14. BRandM

It may, Bryan, but it wasn't uncommon for issuers to put periods after their last names. I'm not sure why, but it was done often.

Bruce

15. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

$120 with 18 hours, most people bid last minute so looking good.

Mikes923 likes this.
  16. rzage

Bruce , I wonder why at least 3 were made as that doesn't sound like a jewelry piece where I'd think only one would be made .

coinman1234 likes this.
  17. rzage

Had to up my bid to keep the lead . ;)

Mikes923 and coinman1234 like this.
  18. Mikes923

Mikes923 New Member

I'm glad I thought to post here. Lots of good info, I appreciate it guys.
    Cool to think, this is how that guy got his name out there, or whatever he was doing.

Good luck to all who decide to bid on it.

rzage likes this.
  19. BRandM

I thought of that too, rzage, and can only guess. He may have made a few for friends or family members. I've done the same with mine. My avatar is an example of one of my personal stamps.

I would like to see Tate's other pieces to compare them. It might give us a clue. We'll never know the real purpose of his stamps, and you could be right about them being advertising pieces. I just have a feeling that they were made for personal reasons.

Bruce

20. BRandM

I see Mr.Tate pulled in $130. That's a good price for your counterstamp, Mike. Congrats.

Did you win it, rzage?

Bruce

21. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

Maybe he is related to the famous actress (Sharon Tate) of the famed Manson Murders? He could have started a business here in the East and moved out west and continued the business there? Could be an interesting twist to this if true. That would make him, her great great grand father or something like that?

Draft saved Draft deleted