1807 capped bust half dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Mikes923, May 2, 2015.

1. Mikes923

Mikes923 New Member

Not exactly an expert on coins. Would be nice to get some opinions on this one though.

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikes923

Mikes923 New Member

I wish I knew who Charles B Tate was.

I'm sure his markings have done nothing but decrease the value?

swamp yankee and coinman1234 like this.
  4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Actually , though the stamping looks almost modern , it may be a counterstamp as some merchants used to put there name on coins for advertisement . Hope someone who knows more about these can tell you if it's old or modern . If old it will have a premium .

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    Coin-Dude likes this.
  5. Mikes923

Mikes923 New Member

It is an authentic 1807 50c piece, if that was what you were implying.

Handed to me from my 94 y/o grandmother( still living).

swamp yankee and coinman1234 like this.
  6. Mikes923

Mikes923 New Member

Another coin I was curious about.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

coinman1234 likes this.
  7. rzage

No , not implying that at all . The coin is definitely real . I was talking of the counterstamp . I just looked up Chas Tate and came up empty . Though the name could have been for a lot of things , usually it was for advertisement . Nice Bust half BTW .

8. rzage

It's a nice Morgan . Please don't clean any coins as that will lower there value .

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. Mikes923

Mikes923 New Member

Found that out the hard way on a 1922 silver dollar. Rookie mistake

coinman1234 likes this.
  10. rzage

So did most of us . Heck up until as late as the '70s some said to clean your coins . A definite no no now . Your lucky it was a common 1922 dollar and not an 1807 Half .

11. rzage

Your 1884-O Morgan had a mintage of 9,730,000 so is quite common in that grade . But being from your Grandparents it's priceless as a family heirloom . Any other coins . Your 1807 half is intriguing though , especially if you can find out who stamped it .

12. Mikes923

Mikes923 New Member

It does seem odd to me that the Morgan is in "worse" shape than the 1807. Being Almost 80 years difference.
    I googled his name, and found a man in 1875 from Missourri but not much about him. My grandmother is originally from Iowa, currently residing in Maryland. Interesting how It travels

13. Mikes923

Mikes923 New Member

She has 3 total all stamped by the same man. This seemed to be the best of the 3 condition-wise, to my untrained eye.

Anyways, she's been curious to see how much she could fetch for one. I told her I'd list one on eBay for her, as I'm already a baseball card fanatic/collector/seller.

coinman1234 likes this.
  14. rzage

I just bid it up a little . I collect Bust halves anyways , but I sould check the Overton # as most of us collect by die marriages . But others would be more interested in the counterstamp . Now to find out who he is or was .

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Bruce is the man for the counterstamp, maybe he'll see this.

16. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

The period after Tate may imply the last name is abbreviated.

rzage likes this.
  17. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

18. Mikes923

Mikes923 New Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not nearly expecting what everyone else on eBay seems to have their half listed as. 5-900$ seems a bit out of the question to me.

Was the hole originally made to be worn around a necklace?

coinman1234 likes this.
  19. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Probably, I see a lot of old coins that have been holed for some reason or another. Those $500-$900 listing are for problem free coins, I could see your coin going for $200. Without the hole or the counterstamp it would be around $500, graded around VF-Details. If I had enough money I would definitely place a bid on your coin, it's the kind of thing I would normally buy.

Mikes923 likes this.
  20. Andrew Snovell

Andrew Snovell Active Member

It seems the counter stamp is fairly new(er)

rzage likes this.
  21. rzage

Mike can you ask your Grandmother the history of the Bust half , like when she got them and when they were counter stamped ?

coinman1234 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted