1807/6 Large Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by centsdimes, Jul 5, 2015.

1. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

I have an 1807/6 (large 1807, pointed 1) large cent in VG-8 condition. The 2016 Red Book values it at $80, the Numismedia website at $198, and the PCGS website at $315. Why such a discrepancy? Which value do you think is the closest?

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

They use different resources for their pricing, and PCGS is very proud of themselves.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Price guides are fun. That is a large difference in price. My 2008 Red Book shows it at $80 as well.

centsdimes likes this.
  5. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

Here's a picture of the coin. 1807 Cent Obv.JPG 1807 Cent Rev.JPG

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Where did the VG-8 grade come from, it looks pretty heavily corroded. I'd call it fine details.

swamp yankee and centsdimes like this.
  7. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

I gave it a VG-8. I'm no expert. A dealer would get what he could for it. If he could sell it for the price of a VG-8, he would.

8. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Actually for that coin I would start at VG-10 and then net it down to G because of the corrosion. That is just my opinion. As for the price - I would not use either one - copper quotes by robinson would probably be a better source. I also use realized auctions off heritage to get prices. Of course you might even find a details coin comparable to yours to see what it went at.

centsdimes likes this.
  9. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

I've heard it said that PCGS values are too high. Would you agree with that? If so, is that because their grading standards are high?

swamp yankee likes this.
  10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

That should start a lot of discussion. :) To me it just depends on who you ask - I think PCGS is a little stricter on large cents than NGC, but not so much to cause a major concern for me. I believe their prices are "supposed to be" for what PGCS graded coins are selling for. I seem to recall it was suppose to include auctions, etc. Of course I can't find anything in that price range for a solid VG-8. I Would think your coin would be between 50-100 (I did not try to determine variety) and a problem free coin between 100-200. That is just my version of pricing it. I am sure conder or one of the experts can do better.

centsdimes likes this.
  11. sambyrd44

sambyrd44 Well-Known Member

PCGS coin prices are for PCGS graded coins that are problem free and reg grades.
    The PCGS prices have no relevance to the coin in question. The coin simply would never be in a problem free slab.

The op's coin is a popular and desirable variety but would trade at a fraction of a
    problem free coin. I would try to list it on the buy and sell board here and other coin forums as a first step. Ebay may be an option as well.

I like the amount of detail and can see many collectors wanting to add that to there set.

centsdimes likes this.
  12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Details coin, possible metal detecting recovery

13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

On eBay, even with the corrosion, that's probably a $75 coin, give or take.

centsdimes likes this.
  14. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Looks like a MD "find" to me has the corrosion I've found on my stuff back East(acid rain damage)

15. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

What is "MD"?

16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Metal detector

centsdimes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted