1804 Half Cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by stairstars, May 21, 2020.

1. stairstars

stairstars Well-Known Member

Any opinions of this coin, condition and value. Worth getting slabbed or also ran?

Plain 4 stemless.

Thanks.

1804 HC.PNG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I'm far from an expert but my guess is that for a half cent in that grade it would not be worth the fees you'd pay to get it in plastic.
    I'll wait for the experts to chime in but my guess is f12.

stairstars likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

VF details damaged.

manny9655 and stairstars like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice looking but I fear it's been damaged.

stairstars likes this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am not going to hazard a value. I have a soft spot for these old coppers and tend to overvalue them. I like it a lot even with the scratches in the field. I don’t find them to be that detracting. Much of my collection is made up of coins like this. Beautiful and affordable yet shunned by the mainstream. I would be proud to own her.

stairstars likes this.
  7. stairstars

stairstars Well-Known Member

Thanks, Randy....I happen to agree. I found it in a jar of coins left me by my Grandfather in Boston. He had a downtown Drug Store, with lunch counter, and when closing out the registers, put odd coins in his pocket and dumped them in a large jar kept in his closet. Amazing, that people paid for their lunch or prescription with such coins. He gave them to me in 1963 when I was 10 years old. I thought I had retrieved all the old US coinage decades ago, but recently took them out and found this. Oldest US coin he had. What made it difficult was he had it in with a thousand foreign coins... which do not speak English to me.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Looks like it was cleaned to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted