1804 Draped bust, Fake?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MaxG, Apr 11, 2017.

1. MaxG

MaxG Active Member

Hello everyone, So last Saturday i was at a city auction of seized estates by the county. I bought a Lot full of mixed coins..Came across these coin. I also finally received the new 2018 Mega Red Book. So i started searching thru it, and found that the Lil Clouds above the stars are very much smaller than the actual book shows. Making me believe its a fake. BUT i just want to be sure, So i'm here asking for an extra opinion. Could it be a fake? Many thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I would be astonished if if it wasn't a fake. The simplest test is to check the weight.

4. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

That is as fake as fake can be, no question.

Paul M., Blissskr and SchwaVB57 like this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Guaranteed fake

Paul M. and SchwaVB57 like this.
  6. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Even *I* can tell it's a fake. *That's* bad. ;-)

Paul M. likes this.
  7. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

To me it seems suspect how so many of these types of 'seized' property type auctions end up having counterfeit coins in there lots. Makes me wonder if the 3rd parties that are often contracted to run these auctions seed a few lots with knowingly fake coins hoping to increase their take.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Super fake. Literally everything is wrong with it.

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Hey, it's round. They at least got that right.

10. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Well, ok, I guess. I suppose it's probably metal of some kind, too. :p

11. totally

totally Active Member

As others have said, basically the only thing that is right is it is some metal and round. Everything else about it is wrong. It's fake. Good job realizing it's fake.

Another easy way to know it's fake: A real 1804 silver dollar is worth 7 figures. Basically the most sought after United States coin ever. There is no way one of these would be around some seized estate sale without everyone knowing.

Jaelus likes this.
  12. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

my avatar shows an authentic Draped Bust....business strikes vary slightly from these....but this will give you a general idea...hope this helps

Draft saved Draft deleted