1804 Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

FWIW QD Bowers graded it as PF 50.

Michael K and C-B-D like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I could go as high as 55, seeing it in hand only,,

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They don't always stick to their "rules" when it comes to these "megastar" coins. The Dexter specimen is counterstamped and they call it a PF-65. (Personally I feel it is circulated, cleaned, and hairlined.)

5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

...which won’t happen :)

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. charlottedude

charlottedude Novice Collector

There is nothing Proof-62 about that coin. At the very best stretch, an AU or Proof-50, nothing more, and the bidding supported that.

7. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

PR-50 in my opinion. High value coins like this often get a generous grade.

8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Au 55 in my opinion and I believe it to have had an ancient cleaning too. Still a great coin regardless

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Don't have a lot of information at hand but I'll give what I have.

This was the Mickley Specimen When it was first sold in 1867 it was described as "very nearly uncirculated"

Eric Newman and Ken Bressett used the same description with additional descriptions of the color , surfaces, and marks in the 1962 book The Fantastic 1804 Dollar.

In the 1970 Stacks sale of the Mass Historical society they relied on the old descriptions of "very nearly uncirculated" and did not give it a grade themselves.

In the Reed Hawn Sale in 1993 it once again was not given a grade in the catalog, and they again fell back to the description of "very nearly uncirculated". Apparently no one was willing to stick their neck out and actually give the coin a grade, instead relying on an opinion made over a hundred years earlier.

In appendix C of The Fantastic 1804 Dollar - Tribute Edition it is described as
    Proof -50, later regraded NGC Proof-62 (For the 2008 Queller family collection sale). The authors authors and reviewers of the text (Eric Newman, Ken Bressett, Q David Bowers, P Scott Rubin, and Mark Borckardt) say that it "shows evidence of limited circulation"

TypeCoin971793 and C-B-D like this.
  10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I wonder if it was ever "messed with" by one of the rich guys that owned it long ago.

Nathan401 likes this.
  11. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This is what I love most about coins. The 'what if' historical factor.

Draft saved Draft deleted