1802 Large Cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This is my 1802 Large Cent Collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

4. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last, but not least is the 1802 side of my 2 headed Large Cent. I believe this is Obverse 2 which was only used on the NC-1 of 1802.

[​IMG]

5. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Another nice batch Marshall.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wow thats alot, you werent kidding. Some nice pieces in this batch.

Of all of these I like the second one the most. The 2 headed is interesting....

7. Breakdown

Breakdown Member

That is tremendous - you've obviously done a lot of work.:hail::hail: How many years did it take to gather this group? I would agree that I like the second one the best, by the way.

Thanks for sharing.:thumb:

8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This is the result of sporadic collecting since 1965 or so. I can't remember when I got my first large cent, but I'd been collecting a while when I joined Early American Coppers in the 90s for the first of three times. My EAC membership number is 1799 and they're approaching 6000 members now.

Most of my early coins were low grade because that was all I could afford while raising 5 kids. Persistence may not make you rich, but you would be surprised what accumilates over the years.

For the eagle eyed among you, I would be VERY surprised if there wasn't an attribution error here and there.

ps I think I underestimated the detail grade on the second coin.

The S-231 is the same coin shown in my profile. It looks like the profile picture in hand until you look closely. I maximized detail for my photos, so most look better in hand.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You joined in the 1990's? How did you get number 1799? I joined in 1982 and I'm #1947. :)

10. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

A bad memory is all I can think of to explain it. I must have joined earlier and remembered the second time I joined. This actually makes sense since I Graduated College in December of 1980 and started a professional job in 1981. I know I got some type of membership card or plaque which made the number quite memorable and the Penny Wise was still just individual sheets of paper and not bound.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Back then everyone got a plastic creditcard type membership card. I don't think they do that anymore. I could understand a special plaque for that number though.

PW has only been bound for about three or four years now I think. Frankly I like both types, but I think I actually prefer the unbound version.

12. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

If things go as expected, I'll finally get the coin that matches my membership number with the assistance of a fellow board member.

13. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

nice set of 1802s marshall. i like your first S-231 best.

Draft saved Draft deleted