1802 Half Cent - low ball

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by hotwheelsearl, Aug 9, 2016.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Couple of questions here.

1. What grade would you assign? I am leaning to PO-1, since although the reverse is probably Fair, the obverse is really worn. It also seems to have cleaning scratches on the obverse, so probably a Details grade.
    2. Since this is a fairly high value coin, resale value might be increased by certifying. Would the sale premium really be worth the certification fees?
    3. What price should I be expecting if I was to sell? Guide prices are all over the place.

IMG_3097.JPG
    IMG_3098.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

That's not an 1802, no 1802 has a stemless reverse. In terms of grade, I would call it 3 net 1 scudzy. Even if it was an 1802 in that condition I would not get it graded.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  4. hotwheelsearl

Man, that really looked like a 2 at the end there.

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I can't make the date out for anything. If you can ever determine it for sure, there seems to be a booming market for low ballers.

6. hotwheelsearl

I was so sure it was an 1802. But no, so it must be either an 1803 or 1808, due to the curviness of the number.

The top of the number is not curvy enough to be an 8, so therefore it must be an 1803. The stems appear to check out.

Darn. Hopefully I can make back my $10 investment...

Draft saved Draft deleted