1802 bust dime

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Derrick Combs, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Derrick Combs

Derrick Combs Well-Known Member

Just wondering if there's anything to this or is this imagination at work? I did see this coin was sold at heritage a couple weeks ago for 700. Now this seller has added their opinion and trying to mark it up. They were asking 1500 when I first saw it. Just curious about this. I honestly wouldn't ever pay that much for a hole. Ever. I don't care if it really was the only one. I love how they say "yes it's holed. I didn't do it and you're not paying extra for it... Really? Screenshot_20201025-065626_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20201025-065638_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20201025-065648_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20201025-065658_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20201025-065705_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20201025-065719_eBay.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I'll give him $1 free shipping , unless on Etsy . All I hear is Blah Blah Blah ............... ! Only known one , right !

Derrick Combs likes this.
  4. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

With that level of wear, it’s difficult to determine whether or not it’s a retained cud or a full cud, since a retained cud could definitely wear down like that given how much circulation that dime saw.

That said, the cud is extremely rare (I believe that there are fewer than 10 known, but I can’t remember the exact number). It’s a shame that someone decided to hole it, because it definitely hurts its value and appeal. But, if you’re a bust dime cud collector, then it’s definitely better than no coin at all.

Derrick Combs and Evan Saltis like this.
  5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

In these earlier series, some collectors (the scholarly type?:)), are more interested in obtaining varieties than fretting about "problems".

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    NSP likes this.
  6. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

It has good eye appeal but I wouldn't pay that much.

spirityoda likes this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Probably worth more than the 700 it sold for, but that hole kills it for me as a dealer. If, however, I had a collection and was on a budget, trying to fill all the slots, I'd consider it. If I was collecting die states and found out this was a new one, I'd be all over it.

Mainebill and Derrick Combs like this.
  8. Derrick Combs

Derrick Combs Well-Known Member

I was just curious about it. I know nothing really about coins this old. But I know there's always people in ebay with their opinions about something.

9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I do not purchase holed coins but if I did I would not offer $15.00 let alone $1500. Go figure!

Derrick Combs likes this.
  10. WFN

WFN Member

Interesting 1802 dime. What NSP said, a coin with Good details has enough wear to make the full/retained cud determination difficult, if not impossible. From the 2015 Bust Dime Variety Identification Guide, "In low grades this retained cud appears full, but this is due to wear as no full cuds have been confirmed for this die marriage." [edit - 1802 JR-4]

I used to collect the series and kept one coin, an 1803 JR-3 VLDS with a retained cud, which can be determined on a lower grade coin by the amount of vertical displacement of the cud. I bought on eBay and this coin ended up as an article in Coin World:

1803jr3b[1].jpg

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I find it very interesting and appealing even with the hole. For a price I’d buy it

Draft saved Draft deleted