1802 & 1803 large cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by silentnviolent, Jul 22, 2015.

1. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Can anyone help me attribute these two large cents please?

WP_20150722_22_46_03_Pro.jpg WP_20150722_22_46_22_Pro.jpg WP_20150722_22_48_54_Pro.jpg WP_20150722_22_48_10_Pro.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

For the 1802, I'd say S-228, the 1/000 variety based on the placement of the "D" in "United": http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-varieties/draped-bust-cents/1802-1-000-1c-s-228-444/

For the 1803, I'd say S-259 based on the small date, large fraction, and placement of the "D" in "United": http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-varieties/draped-bust-cents/1803-sm-date-lg-frac-1c-s-259-481/

Wait for other opinions though, as it's tough to tell since these saw a lot of hands during their lifetimes. You could also check these links against the coins since you have them in hand and might be able to find other confirmations that I didn't notice in the pictures.

silentnviolent likes this.
  4. silentnviolent

These have definitely paid for many thoughts in their lifetimes.

Paddy54 and ace71499 like this.
  5. silentnviolent

I really thought that more folks would have chimed in by now, if even just to verify...

6. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Me too. There's definitely quite a few people here who know a lot about large cents.

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I can't make out enough to really narrow it down, you need either @Conder101 or @Marshall. I haven't seen Marshall in a bit though.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I have been absent for a while after my third hard drive failure wiped out my comp photos AGAIN. I've also had weight loss surgery and dropped 220 pounds and am spending much more time in the "real" world.

But I've recently begun rebuilding my comp photos data base again and am up through 1797. It is a slow and tedious task. Much like walking.

9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Nice to hear from you Marshall and congratulations on the success of all of your hard work with the weight loss. Keep up the good work and be proud of yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted