1801 1$ PCGS GTG; is this coin AT (artificially toned)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Luckydas, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Luckydas

Luckydas Member

I think this 1801 silver dollar is mysterious. Does the uniform blanket of patina make you think it is artificially toned? How does the market view darkly colored coins like this? Is it a nice coin, or not, in your opinion? What do you think the PCGS grade is? I'll reveal the grade after a few replies come in.

-Lucky 1801-pcgs-b4-rev crop.jpg

1801-pcgs-b4-obv crop.jpg

rzage, swamp yankee and jello like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I like it. Looks XF40 to me.

4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm at XF40 as well.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

great looking coin. toning looks original (nice) to me. wait for more experienced opinions on this type coin. :cool:

jello likes this.
  6. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I'm between XF40 and XF45, but it's a nice coin regardless of what the grade is.

7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

The front is XF45 but the back is closer to VF25. My guess is VF35

8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

And regardless of its grade, that is a killer coin and I'd love to have one like that in my Type Set some day.

Paddy54, DMPL_dingo and mac266 like this.
  9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would not say you can prove its AT, but I believe retoned is a given. I believe the coin was dipped at some point, and maybe cleaned. Its very common for these. I would need to see the coin in hand to be sure, but I would expect more trace luster in protected areas for the grade. Since it does not appear to be there, I am guessing it was cleaned, and the toning appeared later, either by age or other means.

Again, it could be a function of the photograph. Maybe the luster is there and I am just not seeing it with the photo.

10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I agree with @medoraman. Likely dipped and re-toned. I like the look for the coin.

From the pictures, I'd grade it XF45.

I think the toning is completely market acceptable. It may have been re-toned purposefully to hide a bad dip, but when I think of "AT", that is not the skin that comes to mind.

Did you buy the coin? Have you seen it in hand? Can you see any evidence of a cleaning (other than a dip)?

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

It is very well struck btw. Usually the clouds are weak. I like the coin, I wasn't hating on it earlier, just saying what I saw.

12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Very attractive. I'll say it's XF.

13. Luckydas

Luckydas Member

Seattlite, I guess that you grade the reverse as only 25 because of the weak shield and lower olive leaves. But, I've searched archives, and found a 58, a 53, and a 25, all B-4's, and all with almost identical weakness there. I've concluded that it is not wear, but a strike weakness of some particular die state of B-4 variety only. Of course, most B-4's don't have this feature; maybe I'm the first to notice it. Have I made a numismatic discovery?

Insider likes this.
  14. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I also agree that it may be retoned, but it's a moot point as it's definitely market acceptable.

15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

This coin was struck very unevenly. Boldly, low on the obverse and high on the reverse. Softer, high on the obverse and low on the reverse.

The absence of luster where the coin is so boldly struck is definitely indicative of cleaning.

Given the insignificant wear in the boldly struck areas, I think this coin is AU Details, cleaned and retoned.

16. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Quick glance VF-35, but I wouldn't be surprised with XF-40

17. Luckydas

Luckydas Member

I actually find more troubling, the obverse hair wear above the ear, and also the lack of luster that medoraman and jpcienkus mentioned. That indicates to me an old cleaning, subsequently retoned. If I buy this coin and crack it out for regrading by PCGS, I wonder if it would come back as "details-cleaning "?

18. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I'm at XF-40, but I'm curious if PCGS considered the mark on the chin damage or adjustment marks. And I agree that it was dipped and retoned.

19. Luckydas

Luckydas Member

Aha, Toughcoins, I wrote my last post before seeing yours. Yes, an uneven, partially-weak strike could account for this appearance. That doesn't bother me, and I like the overall look. But the lack of luster even where there's virtually no wear makes me think that the coin was net-graded due to cleaning. What do you think is the likelihood of a details grade upon resubmission to PCGS?

20. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Send it in for reconsideration with the slab intact or just leave it be. I wouldn't risk it if it has a clean grade now.

NSP likes this.
  21. Luckydas

Luckydas Member

jpcienkus and kirkuleez; I haven't seen the coin in hand. I have only these photos. I don't think the chin/forehead scrapes are adjustment marks, even though they do line up with each other. Can't tell for sure from pics, though. But they just seem superficial.

JPeace$ likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted