1800's various country's coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by veryberry917, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Very cool info, never knew this! Thanks for sharing :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

The OP's coin is of a different type and doesn't have the word on it, unfortunately.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

I can't make out much of the pennies but the 1876H halfpenny is quite nice - Freeman 325, rarity R11 (estimated 2001-3500 extant).

The Eidolon likes this.
  5. veryberry917

veryberry917 Active Member

@mrbadexample yeah, I know.... lol, but I probably with throw them in with my other world coins that I've personally collected over the years. I have a big bowl full.
    For the Half Penny I was shocked at the condition it is in, there are several more like that, you just didn't ask for those years, so I didn't capture them for you, but I will if you wish to see. I'm *very* green to coins so what does Freeman 325, rarity R11 (estimated 2001-3500 extant) actually mean..... for the green bean over here. Thank you for the information.

mrbadexample likes this.
  6. mrbadexample

Michael Freemen wrote what is essentially the bible for British bronze. He assigned each a number and an estimation of rarity:

Your coin has obverse 13 and reverse K*.

DSCF7439.JPG

DSCF7440.JPG

veryberry917 likes this.
  7. veryberry917

How do I find a value of said coin.... eBay is all over the place on prices?

8. veryberry917

Oh and thank you VERY much!!

9. mrbadexample

The only reliable method with ebay is to check sold listings. Asking prices are a different story.

veryberry917 likes this.
  10. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

If you don't know how to get EBay "sold" prices, go to the upper right of your coin search and click "advanced". Your search info should still be there. Scroll down a little and look for your options and "sold" will be one of the choices. Click on it and hit the new search button and you will have them all in chrono order from the auction closes. When you see a price with a green cross-out, it means the seller sold for less than the listed price.

veryberry917 likes this.
  11. veryberry917

@Bill in Burl thank you, I did know how, but appreciate the explanation!

12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The gaming token is likely from the early- to mid-1800s. It's old, but not as old as the "1790" date indicates. These were made during the Victorian era to imitate the British "Spade" type gold guineas (so-called for the spade-shaped shield on their reverse).

Here's a Numista page on one type- not necessarily an exact match. There are a lot of varieties.

One article (small PDF ebook) I found

13. lordmarcovan

Yes, her illegible coin is definitely a George II copper. He ruled from 1727-1760. I think it's most likely a halfpenny, but it could also be a farthing, depending on the diameter. (Approx. 23 mm for a farthing and 28 mm for a halfpenny. So the farthing would be slightly larger than a US nickel while the halfpenny would be a bit larger around than a US quarter but just slightly smaller than a US half dollar.)

veryberry917 likes this.
  14. veryberry917

@lordmarcovan thank you for the description and with it I can tell you the coin is a half penny. Is there any value to this coin? I know that it probably cannot be graded professionally, due to it's condition, but otherwise ..... any value?

15. lordmarcovan

Its value is very modest- perhaps only a dollar or two- in that condition. However, it is a very historic coin which is over 250 years old, so it's worth having for the sake of that, if not for the sake of any high monetary value.

veryberry917 likes this.
  16. veryberry917

@The Eidolon it is a half penny and thank you, that is definitely what this looks like but more like the size of a quarter, I just wish I could see the actual year!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. veryberry917

@Hiddendragon please see the attached photos of what I thought was a Swiss Franc, I am actually not 100% sure of what it is, to be honest, but I looked it up on the "Google" and that's what I guessed. Please let me know, as I would definitely need and want to use correct terms (just like @manny9655 corrected me on the Greek Lepta in this forum thread :p). I really appreciate all of you helping me out.

Attached Files:

18. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

This is a 20 rappen. That's the Swiss equivalent of cent. A franc is like a dollar.

veryberry917 and lordmarcovan like this.
  19. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Just Google it, a Swiss franc is worth more than 1 US dollar, so 20 rappen would be more than 20 US cents.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  20. veryberry917

@Hiddendragon thank you so much! I will correct my inventory record for this coin.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. lordmarcovan

Haha! Autocorrect strikes again!

I think a Swiss franchise is worth considerably more than one US dollar! LOL ;)

Razz and veryberry917 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted