1800 LARGE CENT, VARIETY S-210?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coins776, Sep 17, 2013.

1. coins776

coins776 no title

8b.jpg 8a.jpg this coin looks like variety S-210, but i am not sure. any opinions?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coins776

coins776 no title

the photos are the sellers photos. i have not received the coin in the mail yet.

4. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Maybe? High Fraction bar... check; HWH left of upright... check. But I can't rule out other obverses and reverses.

1800 is a tough year, particularly for damaged and worn coins.

5. coins776

coins776 no title

thanks for the reply marshall. i checked this coin with online research against every variety for 1800 large cents, and i checked each variety many times over. i can rule out some varieties, the overdates can be ruled out, the nc varieties can be ruled out, but S-197, i don't know. is there any way that i can rule out S-197? i can rule out S-198, S-196, S-201. you are right about 1800 being a tough year, the reverses are too similar for 1800. on this coin the berry over the letter O in ONE droops and the berry looks open, i can't see the letters B and E in LIBERTY clear enough to tell if the die chip of S-210 is present between those two letters.

6. coins776

coins776 no title

3j2.jpg i noticed a couple of other things about this coin, the leaf at the letter T in CENT does not cover the bottom right of the letter T. the bottom of the left ribbon on the reverse is broken off, i am posting a photo here of S-210. it looks like the bottom of the left ribbon is almost broken off. is that diagnostic to the variety?

7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Unfortunately it is more characteristic of the strike than the die, It's sort of like bifurcation of the letters. I have three photos of the S-210 and only one has the broken left ribbon, while it also appears on each of the next three reverses. Use of a reverse hub makes the die ID limited to the details on the finishing touches - stems and berrys mostly with some variation in the fraction and then recognizable die breaks which don't help on the early die states.

None of the three s-210 photos has more than a hint of the die chip either, unlike the example shown in Breen and the one you posted.

8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Look real close at Reverse Q as well. I may be imagining things, but I think I see a trace of a break at the top of the final cypher of the fraction and a shadow of the triangle from the rim to the middle cypher. But it's a real reach.

9. coins776

coins776 no title

i think i can see the trangle and some of the other details of S-197. i think this coin is S-197. how much do you figure this coin is worth?

10. dave4dawg

dave4dawg Member

Wow! talk about tough. However, I do not believe this is an s-197. The fraction bar is too long IMO. The fraction bar on the s-197 extends to over the right inside "circle of the last 0 in the denominator and does not quite reach (line-up with) to the bottom of the inner ribbon. The fraction bar in your example appears to line up with the inner ribbon and extends to the midpoint of the last 0. Really tough attribution task because of the condition of the coin and not having in hand for a better examination.

11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Sheldon's Reverse Q is the Reverse shared by S-206 and S-207. There is also what could be a break from the ribbon to the bottom of U similar to S-193 or it could be corrosion mimicking that break. Other diagnostics just don't sit right for that attribution though. It's just too tough for me to be comfortable with any attribution.

12. coins776

coins776 no title

what varieties can be ruled out for this coin?

Draft saved Draft deleted