1800 Draped Bust

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Silverhouse, May 3, 2018.

1. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Found this little gem at the local coin shop. The owner was gracious enough to let me photograph it as I could not afford this. Graded by NGC vf-25, the price on it is $2,100. Is it priced accurately for the condition and year? 20180502_103134.jpg 20180502_103147.jpg

TypeCoin971793 and longshot like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

CDN (greysheet) for a VF20 (not VF25) is $2300. Recent Heritage sales for a VF25 have been in the $1800-$2300 range, so if it is straight graded, then yes, that's about right, and somewhat reasonable for the coin.

4. Silverhouse

Thanks, if that coin is still available by the end of summer, I am going to pick it up. The owner said it's been in his case for months. So who knows. It is straight graded.

5. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Are you sure it hasn't been cleaned?

6. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

I'd think the slab would say "Improperly Cleaned" if it had been cleaned. Can't see the top of the slab, but the OP would probably have mentioned that.

7. Dougmeister

IMHO, TPG's are often lenient with older U.S. silver.

micbraun and Paul M. like this.
  8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

love these old dollars.

9. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

If it has, it certainly looks market acceptable to me.

I think that it's at a reasonable price.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very nice looking. I would ask the owner what his best price to you would be and if he would do a lay-a-way with you. It may be gone by the end of summer.

JPeace$ and Beefer518 like this.
  11. Dougmeister

IMHO, not VF25, nor even VF20, according to ANA grading standards:

VF20

Obverse
    • >1/2 of hair details show (yes)
    • Forehead and bust are worn but bold. (yes)
    • Parts of drapery are smooth. (yes)
    • Letters and star centers are plainly visible (letters=yes, star centers=no)
    Reverse
    • Head and breast are worn but some feathers are visible. (no feathers visible on head or breast)
    • Some lines in shield are merged together. (yes)
    • ~3/4 of wing details are clear. (debatable; I say "no", but you can disagree)
    • Motto is complete (definitely not)
    Having said all of that, I will also say that TPGs also go easy on the grading of these old, large coins. It is difficult, in my opinion, to find them problem-free, thus the prices are usually inflated.

I'd put it between F12 and VF20.

Have you searched Heritage completed auctions? I did a quick search and see several that have sold this year so far for <$2k that look pretty nice.

12. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

I didn't even look at the grade, just the originality of the surfaces.

I grade it F-15.

Mainebill and Dougmeister like this.
  13. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I have an 1800 that was graded as F15 by ANACS. It was harshly cleaned, and there appears to be some graffiti. Comparing the OP's to mine, just looking at levels of detail and wear, I would say this coin, albeit original, is at best F12. But I do now think it is overgraded by a significant amount, and might have some concerns that the next buyer would buy the coin, and not the slab, and the OP would have a hard time selling it for VF money.

Starting to second guess my opinion that it is priced within reason.

14. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

I think it is wildly overgraded and certainly wouldn't buy it as VF25.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  15. Silverhouse

The next the next time I'm in there I could probably take a picture of the top of the slab it is straight graded though

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

PCGS and NGC do not go by ANA grading standards.

17. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Exactly.

Amen, brother.

I’d wait for a better coin with a min. grade of VF30/35 - a coin which actually has VF details, not one in a slab which says VF ;-)

Dougmeister likes this.
  18. Silverhouse

That is why I asked these old type coins are something I normally purchase. But good to know, if he can get it below 2000 for me that be great

19. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

It looks original to me but I don’t think the grade is accurate at all. F-15 is right for this coin. So I believe it to be very overgraded

carpman98 likes this.
  20. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Nice original look and F12. No more.

carpman98 likes this.
  21. mumu

mumu Junior Member

That thing is far from a 25. I agree with those voting 12. Here's the reverse of an 1801 VF20 I just bought for reference. Notice where the shield meets the wing feathers on both.

[​IMG]

Mainebill likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted