1800 Draped Bust Large Cent Attribution

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CoinMike747, Nov 29, 2013.

1. CoinMike747

CoinMike747 Barber Connoisseur

Greetings,
    I purchased this large cent over three years ago from a small antique store in rural Pennsylvania, and it was labeled a 1800 over 1799. By looking at certified examples of other 1800 over 1799's, I've concluded that this is definitely not one of them. Therefore I was hoping if someone could possibly identify, if even possible as this is pretty worn, the Sheldon variety?
    IMG_3853.JPG IMG_3855.JPG There also appears to be a cud on the "United States of America" legend.
    1800 Large Cent.jpg I can retake or edit the photos if need be.

Thanks for the help!
    -Mike

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinMike747

I meant to edit my original post....

4. noob76

noob76 Member

why are you so positive it isn't one of the overdates? that's what it looks like to me.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Probably 1800 S-203. The "cud" is sinking from die damage that occurred when the dies severely clashed. The end of the bust can be seen heavily clashed through the OF. This heavy clash and the sinking "cud" tends to be diagnostic of S-203. A couple other varieties do come with the clash through OF but not this severely. You are right not an overdate and definitely not the 1800/1798 (There is no 1800/1799)

CoinMike747 likes this.
  6. CoinMike747

Thanks for your help condor!

7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I concur with S-203. The reverse CUD OVER the F and not through it rules out the alternatives with the CUD that I know about.

Draft saved Draft deleted