1800 Coin help to identify

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MaxG, Mar 26, 2017.

1. MaxG

MaxG Active Member

Hey guys,((((Disregard the Eisenhower in Picture)))) so the older coins are something new to me. im not sure what they are. so if there any experts willing to lend a hand. id appreciate it. that 1800 coin im not sure what it is or if it has value? Should it stick to a magnet?

Attached Files:

MerlinAurelius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MerlinAurelius

MerlinAurelius Well-Known Member

Draped Bust dollar. 1794-1803

4. MerlinAurelius

I don't think it should stick strongly to a magnet,. That coin should be 90% silver.

5. MerlinAurelius

Oh and be careful if you intend to sell those coins. People here can be very hostile in my experience if you mention selling coins. They will not want to help you and will insult and hurl all kinds of negativity at you. Just my word of caution.

6. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

At this stage in your coin-career, no one single item will help you more than a new Redbook, provided you read it cover-to-cover.

The 1800 dollar looks like a Chinese casting; compare the 0's in the date with a graded coin on eBay.

7. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Definitely a counterfeit, a genuine draped bust dollar would not have a reeded edge.

8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

ehh... where did you come up with this idea? Can you share a link of such an instance vs just telling me "it happened to me or to someone I know"? As far as I know, everyone is very helpful regardless of the venue someone is seeking in coin collecting. Also, I've seen insults hurled at those who wish to buy as well :p

9. MerlinAurelius

Check my threads...
    Yes, that is probably true about people buying as well^^ I appreciate the comment, helps me keep things in perspective.

10. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

The Ike is real, the bust dollar is not.

11. MerlinAurelius

Where did you get the coins?

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It should be noted that these Dollars were not reeded....although there's plenty of other convincing evidence even in these pics, the presence of reeding is proof positive that it's a counterfeit.

13. Seattlite86

Well, we both know I'm not going to go sifting through your threads to find evidence of something you claimed. If you know the thread, I would like the link please. I'm sure it would be very easy for you to find. I'd like to know who on CT is treating you poorly for desiring to sell coins. Please share.

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think the idea originated with postings he made of bulk ancients he bought and wanted to flip for profit with the added value that he would get from having them identified by people on this forum. Not REALLY anything wrong with that, except the fact that it seemed he was doing it in bulk. No offence, @MerlinAurelius but some people took it as unnecessarily mercenary.

15. doug444

"Unnecessarily mercenary" is a red herring here. Members who felt it was in any way improper could simply decline to identify any of the coins.

There is justifiable pride in knowing so much about ancients that you can identify one at a glance, and further pride in being first to post the desired information. Your reputation(s) have been rightfully enhanced once again, and that should be adequate consideration.

Moreover, the information benefits all of us, not just the OP.

Where else would the OP go for identification?

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

When have you ever known members here to decline to talk about anything?

Seattlite86 and SuperDave like this.
  17. doug444

What does your question have to do with the "mercenary" comment? You're the one who brought "mercenary" into the conversation, not me. My response is both true and correct. No one is forced to respond if they feel a post is "mercenary" or otherwise controversial...

18. MerlinAurelius

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/lrbs-direct-from-the-source-are-they-real.293326/#post-2687422

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/having-trouble-identifying-these.293544/

19. MerlinAurelius

Now I understand that better. Thanks for your post.

20. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The item dated 1800 is not a genuine coin. It was probably intended to be a fake Bust dollar, since there are no bust halves dated 1800, but it's not even the right size. It should not stick to a magnet.

21. Seattlite86

So, I read through the [Edit] first thread.
    I'm seeing a few responses to you possibly buying and selling illegal items. I'm seeing you ask everyone here to do your dirty work and attribute your coins so you can go and make a profit. I see you buying and selling coins that you don't know anything about, which any collector will tell you is a terrible idea. I see you getting a lot of solid advice from knowledgeable collectors and getting mad about it because you disagree. I also see you breaking the rules by attempting to sell coins outside of the allotted forums for selling items. See quote below:

And lastly, I fail to see the plethora of hatred you attempted to construe. Seems to me like you didn't get the answers you wanted to hear and instead of conducting a little introspection on why so many collectors have attempted to give you advice against what you are doing, you've chosen to blame them for not agreeing with you. I don't actively collect ancients, but I can tell you that they gave you sound advice. Stick around a little longer and you'll realize it too.

Respectfully, you're the one with the chip on your shoulder. I already know that me pointing this out will only tick you off, but I think you need to hear it again.

Cheers.

Draft saved Draft deleted