1800/79 Sheldon variety?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by 93stang, Feb 1, 2013.

1. 93stang

93stang Member

I just bought this off of Ebay and was wondering if someone could help me with finding the Sheldon variety. I don't get lucky that often so I figured it was a s-196, but it could be my lucky day. Not great pictures but its as good as it gets. All help is appreciated! 2013-02-01_17-52-01_799-1.jpg 2013-02-01_17-52-31_674-1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Well you aren't worse on this one. I come up with S-195 as well. The obverse is definitely the obv of S-194/195. On the reverse what I key on to tell the two apart is where the right stem meets the wreath. On 194 it meets the ribbon below where the ribbon meets the wreath. On S-195 it meets the wreath right where the ribbon and the wreath come together. The open area above the stem on S-195 comes to a sharp point here while on S-194 it is blunt because it comes along the wreath and then down the ribbon to the stem.

Also, it's faint, but I can see the crack across the bottom of the A to the C. The crack shows best where it is joining the bases of the A.

Rev of 194
    [​IMG]

Rev of 195
    [​IMG]

5. 93stang

93stang Member

Thanks you for the help
    -stang

6. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I also came to the S-195 conclusion before reading the other comments.

The Obverse is definitely Sheldon's Obv 3 (HWH right of upright of R, strong 9 in first 0 and both 0s distant from the bust). I also have noticed a small spike on the left wreath stem of the S-195 which helps distinguish the S-194 and S-195. This is not obvious on the coin, but there is a feint hint of the spike. The high thin fraction bar is very apparent on this coin. (as opposed to a couple I have which are not)

Congratulations on your find.

Draft saved Draft deleted