180 Degree Die Rotation - Premium?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kanga, Jan 12, 2009.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Anyone have a general idea of the premium that a 180 degree die rotation adds to a coin?
    In this case I'm talking about a 1861 silver 3-cent.
    Just looking for a best guess, ballpark figure (+25%, +50%, etc.)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

25% for sure I would think but I maybe wrong.

4. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Reverse die rotations are one of the least noticed or valued types of errors.
    As an example the famous Red Book lists many error coins on pages 401 to 404 BUT no mention of a rotated reverse. Many other coin books that list errors also have little to no mention of them. With so little noted about a rotated reverse on a coin, the value is somewhat what someone would pay for one.
    The problem with a rotated reverse is the adverse effects by many dealers and collectors. Many times I've heard dealers tell a buyer that a coin is much reduced due to a rotated reverse. Also, heard collectors say they wouldn't but a certain coin due to a rotated reverse.
    One dealers I know had a great Buffalo Nickel with about a 90% rotated reverse and had a really tuff time selling it.
    To answer your question I would suggest that if you want to sell it you put it up on ebay as a massively erroneously made, one in a million error coin.

5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Since it is my Silver Three-Cent Type III coin for my type set, it won't be sold.
    I'm more interested in it's value for insurance purposes.

But a "whatever a buyer will pay" value is pretty much what I expected.
    Hard to insure that way.
    I'm looking for something more concrete than that.

6. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

That is the highest degree wow 180. I would say the value of the rotation has to do with more of the rareity rating of how many specimens like your coin ,with that specific date that are out there with that much rotation.

The posiblity of your coin being worth a couple of hundred is not far fetched. I would do some res earch on your coin and buy a book on the subject it is well worth the investment.

Jazzcoins joe

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Check 3 places kanga, Ken Potter's, Mike Byers and the Heritage web sites. If there is another out there, you'll likely find it there.

Lesbian Cow likes this.
  8. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

I can't cite any examples, but I thought rotated rev.'s were more common in that time period. I would buy one if I saw however.

9. dready

dready Coin Hoarder

Here's a site that give a census of rotated dies. Your date is on the list. Shows a Rarity rating but no price. Hope this helps........................John http://www.rotateddies.com/

10. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

11. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Well kanga I think you have a winner there your coin is an R5 which is a rare coin not to many specimens are know to exsist with that rotation NOW THAT"S IN EF CONDITION,ALSO I think it's 31-81 known to be in exsistence . What do you think the condition of your coin is in that also is an important factor here to determine the value let me know? I think i could give you around about figure once you find that out Great coin to have .

jazzcoins Joe

12. LSM

LSM Collector

kanga, there is a modern day example of a 180 degree rotated die. The 1989 Congress commemorative dollar minted in Denver. There's about two dozen coins with the 180 degree die rotation (may be more know). At one time collectors where paying over $2000 for the coins. My error book list the price for 136 -180 rotated die strikes at $25 and up. The rarity level is listed as 5 and 6.

Lou

13. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

The possible best way to figure out what it REALLY is worth is to take it to several coin dealers and a few coin shows. Just remember to mention it is not for sale, you just want to know for insurance purposes. If you say you want to sell it you'ld probably be offered a few dollars less than the coin itself is worth. Remember to just say it's for insurance purposes.
    The problem is the lack of interest in rotated reverses on coins. Another problem is they are seldom noticed due to people just look at the front of a coin and when they turn it over it is difficult to remember how you were holding it. If it's in a 2x2, you just don't even pay attention to that problem.
    I have approximately 3,000 Mercury Dimes. Presently have 12 Whitman Albums full of them plus 2x2's and rolls. With the obverses all in line in an album and you turn the page you find about 20 to 25 % of all Mercury Dimes have rotated reverses. Not as much as 180 degrees but many at 90 degrees. And no one cares about those unless you want a coin in perfect condition.
    Many times at coin shows I haggle with dealers on the Mercury Dime prices if they have rotated reverses. Most dealers have a problem selling them so a decent discount is the way to go.
    As I mentioned before such error coins are in the eyes of the beholder and the value is what someone would pay for them.

14. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Thanks for the info, but I couldn't come up with anything.

Just Carl, probably the best suggestion. I'll take it to the Whitman show in Baltimore in March.

BTW here's the coin.
    You'll have to take my word for it about the die rotation.
    I don't have a setup to image both sides simultaneously.

[​IMG]

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No need to either, All you;d have to do is post pics of each side showing the full slab. That pins it down right there.

16. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

D'oh!
    Amazing how the easy solution often eludes me.

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Hey Kanga, coming into this thread a little late, but I just want to point out or add, a 180 is a West to East (as opposed to North to South) flipper, and that's as good as it gets in the die-rotation department. So, I don't care what the denomination is, I wouldn't let it go for peanuts. JMO...

18. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Yeah, but when scrolling through the thread, I saw a post by "Jello". I wonder where he is? Does anyone know?

paddyman98 likes this.
  19. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

As you have no intention of selling it get someone here to offer you an exhorbitant amount and quote that offer to your insurance agent. ;)

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  20. robec

robec Junior Member

Glad you mentioned Jello. I was just thinking about him a couple of days ago and saw he hasn't posted since January. And he was a daily fixture. I hope he is OK.

paddyman98 and JPeace$ like this.
  21. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I too hope he's okay.

Draft saved Draft deleted