17XX Large Cent a rare pickup for me from eBay

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Moekeever, Nov 4, 2022.

1. Moekeever

Moekeever Well-Known Member

I found myself searching eBay for large cents a few evening’s ago. I haven’t bought from them in a long while. I opened the listing for 17XX large cent. I instantly knew the variety. The dies that struck the coin has clashed together leaving areas of swelling that obliterated all details. The date is almost completely disappeared as well as the “OF” and “UNITED” on the reverse. More than likely this was one of the last coins struck by these dies.
    Any guesses on the date and Variety?

The photos are the sellers.

6DFCA27C-05B0-4E48-8294-F021B15C0C47.png 8FB49B24-CCBD-4E3E-BCF1-E409E44AC71E.png 5F3E4EA6-2E26-4273-BBB1-9EC21327F6D9.png

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Swelled bust, broken T in LIBERTY, yup I know exactly what this is and I have one too! I even saw this Ebay listing and watched it but didn't bid on it.

Not going to say what it is as I want to give others a chance.

Moekeever likes this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

DisloyalUnlinedBluetickcoonhound-size_restricted.gif

5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

almost bought her myself :D if the date had been a bit clearer I would have lol :D good pickup :D

Moekeever likes this.
  6. Moekeever

I don’t have this coin in hand yet. I’m guessing VG-8 with scratches. Has a little rim clip as well.

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I saw the rim clip.
    I don't know the series, so i am waiting for someone to spill the beans.
    Would like to see the photos when you get it in hand.

8. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

ok and will open my mouth, what I saw was a 1797 reverse... the broken T in liberty made it a 1798 Sheldon 167 shattered die LC... The broken T being my main indicator... I may be wrong but that's what I called it when i was almost buying it lol :D ended up finding my 1813 20 minutes later so it won over the 1798 lol PS I missed the rim clip until it was mentioned (my bad)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    MIGuy and Moekeever like this.
  9. Moekeever

It’s not S-167, liberty is located too high. My example has the “R” in liberty almost resting on the hair. I will help, the date is 1797.

10. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

S-124 ??

Edited to add: not S-124.

11. Moekeever

Correct the obverse die was used on S-124 and S-125. The reverse has a short fraction bar that doesn’t cover the “1”.

12. Moekeever

The S-124 has a rarity R-5+ so between 30 to 70 examples known. I personally question those numbers as this is my third example in my collection. This one has the most swelling by far.

13. Moekeever

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  14. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Could you post better pictures of your new coin?
    I was comparing it best I could to my very low grade (also a cherry pick) S-124, and could not match it.

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That’s a neat looking coin, even with the date partially missing.

16. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Sorry but I'm pretty sure it's a common 140. The positions of E and R in LIBERTY are too close together to be a 124 or 125. :(

This is my S-140:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
  17. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I stopped by. I haven't finished the thread yet.

Moekeever likes this.
  18. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

1797 S-140 {I}.jpg 1797 S-140 {II}.jpg
    It is a later die state S-140. I actually prefer the later die state to the earlier one with a stronger date. But that puts me in a much smaller, less profitable group.

In this case, the earlier die state example is one of my favorites. It looks much better in hand than it appears in photos. The planchet itself actually has impurities which cause it to appear like it has freckles. In photos, it looks like corrosion, but it isn't. But it does have improvement marks.

MIGuy, Omegaraptor and Eduard like this.
  19. Moekeever

Thanks again Marshall, I was sure until you posted your comps. I still love the coin.

MIGuy likes this.
  20. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

As you should. And just for additional confidence, there should be a break from the bottom left stem down to or through the top of U below. I think I see it in the seller's photos, but it isn't strong. But you can see it in the early die state comp so you know what to look for when you receive it.

Moekeever likes this.
  21. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Can you post your S-124's ? Would love to see them. This is a coin which is very difficult to find in good condition.

Draft saved Draft deleted