1798 Draped Bust Large Cent Rotated Die - no big deal?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom, Aug 12, 2017.

1. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

While this coin is far from a beauty it IS mine, and I've been trying to determine if the die rotation adds any collectibility to it or not. From what I read, I hear that die rotations are rampant in the early US Mint efforts but then I see some people making a big deal about it, or at least when they're trying to get you to buy one from them. I realize this coin is a filler at best, but until I can afford one in a better grade, it's my 18th Century type piece. Should I consider the die rotation anything special or not?
    Thanks,
    Bill
    upload_2017-8-12_14-12-1.png

jay4202472000 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'm not sure rotated dies would add any premium on the early stuff like this - after all, the US Mint was a far more primitive operation in that period.

But it is a nice little bit of extra "character". A fun little quirk, if you will.

4. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Rotated dies are much more common on early copper, however I keep any rotated dies, despite rarity. I find it fun to collect. Or, find the Sheldon and sub it to PCGS or ANACS and have it in a nice slab labeling both things.

-SC

5. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

What's "Sheldon" refer to>

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Google "penny whimsy". There's more to it, but will be a fine start.

7. SorenCoins

Every single large cent minted from 1793-1814 has a Sheldon. Sheldon is a variety. I dont have a Sheldon because I dont have any cents that old, but I do have a Newcomb (large cents minted from 1816-1856) from 1835. It is N-19 and Type 5-K. The type is the die pairing, obverse (front) dies were given a number and reverse (back) dies a letter. The die is the piece of metal with an incuse design used to strike the coins. There are mutiple Sheldons for each date, depending on which dies were used.

-SC

8. SorenCoins

@Marshall can attribute this for you, I am no means an expert.

9. SorenCoins

May need better pictures though.

10. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Definitely need better pictures. I can exclude the reverses of 95(96), but I can't even exclude style 1 hair with fuzzy images where the curl should be.

Also, even though rotated, a photo with the top up on both obverse and reverse makes attribution easier. Markers are obscure, like hair position, date position, stem, leaf point and berry stem position.

I see no obvious breaks that often announce their attribution at a glance.

11. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

Ah. Thanks...

12. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

@Marshall - I believe it to be hair style 2

@SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom - 1798 I'm finding out is one of the more difficult to attribute, as there were so many varieties. I spent 3 hours trying to attribute one the other night, and I think I'm no closer then when I started. I'm just learning to attribute, but I had someone check me, and while he hasn't made a full attribution, I wasn't even close.

Draft saved Draft deleted