1798 Draped bust cent - where to start?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Brett_in_Sacto, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I attended a private estate auction yesterday and among the treasures I came off with were two very old cents - one being a 1798 Draped Bust. I haven't busted it out of the old flip yet to take pictures, I wanted to find out if someone could direct me to some resources online to learn a bit about these before cutting it out of the PVC. Whatever was done - was done. I don't want to do any more to it in case I decide to send it off for grading and authentication.

This is by far the oldest US coin I've ever owned. It's amazing to think that this coin was around when our first president was still alive.

I've been doing some reading on the varieties and the possibility of it being an 1797/8, and I'd like to learn what I'm looking at. Through the PVC it's hard to see any details, but it does appear there are flat edges around the 8

Thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

not likely to be a 1797/8
    An older date over a newer date is, well in the scheme of the universe possible.

more likely 1798/7

4. Brett_in_Sacto

Well that's what I meant - but typing while excited never ends well. Never believe everything you read on the internet.

Amanda Varner likes this.
  5. Scropper

Scropper Member

Can't wait to see your pictures! I love 1798s... I'd say Sheldon is the place to start. You could pour over some Heritage results or PCGS CoinFacts to get you going. But if you like these coins, you should pick yourself up a copy of the newest edition of Penny Whimsy!

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No, find one of the older editions. If you have to go with the latest edition (1990) get one from the second printing (dark brown leatherette cover), not the first printing (light brown one.) The plates in the first printing are TERRIBLE, little more than dark circles. Once you get your Penny Whimsy, try to find a copy of the Dan Holmes I sale catalog. Large plates of ALL of the early date varieties including the NC's. (Until you can find a copy of the catalog there's the online version)
    http://images.goldbergauctions.com/php/toc_auc.php?site=1&lang=1&sale=54

If the Holmes catalog have included variety identification descriptions (Like the Robbie Brown and Jack Robinson sales did) it would have been SUPER!

oldwormwood likes this.
  7. Scropper

Scropper Member

The Dan Holmes Catalogs - that's a GREAT idea Conder101!

Auction Catalogs in general are a fantastic resource, and I've noticed that a lot more are on-line now (Stack's is doing a great job getting them up). Super valuable and incredibly accessible.

8. Brett_in_Sacto

Sounds good. Thanks for the homework assignments. I'll break it out this weekend and hopefully by Monday have some pictures up.

Draft saved Draft deleted