1798 Bust Large Cent Style 2 Help and Opinions!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by slamster17, Sep 14, 2015.

1. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Picked this up in a lot at auction. I didn't pay much attention to it and had just passed it off on first glance during preview as another worn down large cent. Upon winning this particular lot I got to see that it is actually quite nice, and a 1798 bust cent with what I think is style 2 hair. That is as far as I have gotten. Wondering if the experts can help with grade, and variety help? I'm going to say environmental damage/corrosion/PVC, but the coin actually looks much nicer in hand than in pictures. This is basically my first experience with old US copper. Thanks!

Attached Files:

BostonMike and ken454 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Large cents are not my thing but you got a fine example of early copper. I wouldn't mind having that in my collection just because of it's age and condition. I don't see any signs of damage of any type, just wear. It's not worn as bad as a lot of others I've seen. Nice find!

slamster17 likes this.
  4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

1798's are very tough to attribute It is a type 2 hair and a small 8 it is also a rev type of 1799 which is what makes it hard. All the type of 99 reverses were made fro a full hub. I think this is a S-187 because it is the only one where the berry above and to the left of the O in ONE sloped downward. The S-187 usually has a couple of cracks on the obv though which I don't see on your coin.

slamster17 likes this.
  5. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Thanks, and thanks for the info Conder...I kind of got intimidated by the list of varieties...I don't see those cracks either...would this be worth submitting at least just for attribution? I think its worth at least $100...I would probably keep it regardless for my type set..

6. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I agree, type two for sure.
    [​IMG]

7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Well-Known Member

Nice acquisition. I'll go with VG-Details.

8. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Just wanted to say that I had this sent in out of curiosity, and because well, I wanted to submit somethings, and it did indeed show up as S 187 as you said @Conder101 no grades yet...just notes showing up on my invoice

9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Type 2 hair. I'm too tired to try to attribute. A f details tho with some porosity

10. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

You were right @Mainebill, Fine Details, environmental damage. I figured it would come back as such, but I felt better about sending this one in just to have it attributed and authenticated.

Attached Files:

Mainebill likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted