1798 (/7?) Draped Bust Cent: Variety/Info?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eric Schlenz, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Eric Schlenz

Eric Schlenz Member

Hello all,

I have a 1798 Large Cent that I need some help properly identifying. I had posted this specific coin, along with others, in a separate thread. The group advised me to break this one out into its own thread.

Thus far the CoinTalk group has suggested it may be a 1798/7 due to, what appears to be, a serif at the top left of the 8. I believe this to be a Hairstyle 1. That's about all that has been (possibly) determined at this point. The CoinTalk group has been very helpful thus far, and this post is only meant to expand on what others in the group have identified thus far and to break it apart from the rather large post it was originally in.

What I would like to know:

1) Do others also believe this could be a 1798/7?

2) Is it a Hairstyle 1? (If it is a 1798/7, does that automatically make it a Hairstyle 1?)

3) Can you further classify this coin, down to a Sheldon variety?

That's pretty much it! Thanks so much in advance.

Here are the pictures I have:

1798_draped_bust_obverse.png
    1798_draped_bust_reverse.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

S-152

Following up from your other thread. The easiest way to determine if a large cent is hair style 1 or 2 is to look at the hair near the "1" in the date (about 6-7 o'clock). If there is an extra curl there, it's the second hair style. If not (like on this coin) is the first hair style.

chrisild likes this.
  4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted