Featured 1797 S-139 Large Cent "Suspect" Examples and Initial Research

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jack D. Young, Jul 4, 2018.

1. demyhhh

demyhhh New Member

I found one like this while metal detecting and the only thing I can tell is the hair from the pony tail when the coin is wet. The entire coo is practically flat.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Excellent research!

Noting that the most common EF 1797 Draped Lg Cent: the reverse of '95, is $4,000 per pcgs coin values (with an AU-55 being $9,000), why would anyone buy such an expensive coin, unslabbed, on EBay?

Perhaps part of this is the hostility of US coin dealers to talk to collectors or help educate them as to what to look for in counterfeits? While slabs have many advantages one defect is that they prevent other analysis, except photography of the coins being done. Slabbed coins can't be weighed, or metals composition measured by XRF (non-destructive surface metals analysis).

With the proliferation of XRF equipment being offered, I wouldn't be surprised if this was commonly used by TPA's for counterfeit detection on all high end submissions.

4. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Thank you for your reply!

Actually, the latest XRF scanners can penetrate the slabs, which is very helpful in the analysis of the coin. I have a fake US $20 "gold" piece in a fake TPG slab and a friend scanned it to measure 3% gold plate over a manganese/copper core.

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Excellent thread. I'll add this fact. Sooner or later, every characteristic defect that is found on a counterfeit coin will be seen on a genuine specimen and the reverse is true. Every characteristic of a genuine coin will eventually show up on a counterfeit. :jawdrop:

Jack D. Young likes this.
  6. Saspursfan78

Saspursfan78 Active Member

Great thread!!!

Insider and Jack D. Young like this.
  7. Jack D. Young

"Coin" came back from ICG:

my_S-139_ICG.jpg

NSP, Marshall, Clawcoins and 3 others like this.
  8. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Had a peddler come into one of our scrap yards a couple of months ago peddling a $32,000.00 XRF gun. He opened his sample box full of different copper, brass, aluminum, stainless and other non-ferrous metal alloys. He spent about 45 minutes demonstrating his device using these different samples. He then offered to take his gun and sample different items of scrap in our warehouse. I said no need. Popped open the cash register - pulled out a zincoln and said, "here sample this". You should have seen the look on his face when that penny tested at 56% copper. Pulled out another and tossed it to him and said try again. 61% copper. He left somewhat bewildered but I let him keep the coins for calibration purpose.

Insider likes this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Well that confirms what I thought from another report, the XRF guns penetrate the tested object to a depth of about twice the thickness of the plating. I need to run the numbers again but I believe the plating on a cent is about .0002 inches. So the gun doesn't read strictly surface, but they don't tell you anything about the interior and could be fooled completely by a thick plating.

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

@Jack D. Young , what do you think of this one? The T in LIBERTY and the soft OF on the reverse are giving me pause.
    20200612_145922.jpg 20200612_145858.jpg

Marshall likes this.
  11. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

There is an obverse die that has the broken T. My problem is below the B in LIBERTY. Where is the rest of her hair? The curl that you see at the right side of the upright in E should extend to under the right side of the upright of B. There looks to be a discolored spot right there between her hair and B.

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

My mistake. This is an S 140

13. Jack D. Young

We actually had a suspect S-140 returned some time back but never found a match.

S-140-ct.jpg

14. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

I see what looks to be a centering dot on the reverse of the coin Jack posted.
    C-B-D's coin I do not see one.

Marshall likes this.
  15. Jack D. Young

Now I need to go back and start looking at S-140's! Image comparison to a known genuine of the later die state on the right:

combo-o-gen.jpg
    combo-r-gen.jpg

Marshall likes this.
  16. Jack D. Young

Well, a different post will probably be needed...
    @C-B-D's post made me look at the S-140 again and I believe I found the source for the counterfeit.
    Many matching marks so far:

source-combo-o-marks.jpg
    source-combo-r-marks.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Gilbert, Marshall, NSP and 4 others like this.
  17. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Well Done!

Now, it looks like there are going to be a lot of new surprises turning up in the Large cent series. IN SPITE OF HIS MODESTY - For those who didn't know...

Jack Young and his group have exposed a number of counterfeit coins such as this that have passed all the TPGS for years! Without their work, I guarantee many of these state-of-the-art fakes would still be bought and sold as genuine!

18. Jack D. Young

In the process of writing up my summary article for this one (finally!)...

The subject example has now again been certified genuine by a top TPG: to Insider's point they may all eventually pass for genuine if the Hobby isn't diligent.

PCGS cut.jpg

Marshall, TypeCoin971793 and C-B-D like this.
  19. DMPL_dingo

DMPL_dingo Well-Known Member

So did PCGS just certify genuine the original counterfeit example? I just went back and reread this whole thread and am now thoroughly confused. You do great work though!

20. Jack D. Young

PCGS certified the example I purchased, the 3rd one imaged in this post. So, NGC stated AU details, ICG counterfeit and PCGS is the latest to see it:D...

s-l1600-8.jpg

DMPL_dingo likes this.
  21. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

Holy ... It's time for me to stop collecting US Large Cents altogether if TPGs are certifying these as genuine. And definitely time for all early copper collectors to stop buying raw coins, especially the more expensive ones. And it's time to rejoin EAC.

Mr. Young, I thank you, sir, for this shocking and thorough research and analysis.

Draft saved Draft deleted