1797 half cent C-2 Plain Edge

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BigTee44, Nov 9, 2014.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

It appears to have been cleaned from these pictures but has good eye appeal.

I've looked up similar 1797 half cent coins to try and determine what the grade would be but have no clue. They seem to be all over the place.

What do you think it grades-details more than likely.

image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I'd call it fine details. It clearly took a cleaning, but is still a very nicely detailed piece and sharply struck.

4. coindudeonebay

coindudeonebay SMS Guru

It has a lot of meat. I would say it's definitely cleaned. About the surfaces, it looks a bit porous which might mean it spent some time in the ground hence the cleaning.

5. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

Fine BUT Cleaned, still can be fixed !!

6. BigTee44

How can you "fix" a cleaned coin?

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Question here for you early American copper collectors - aren't things that would earn a details grade, like cleaning environmental damage, less important to EAC collectors? Or did I just make that up?

8. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I don't know if it's "less important", but it might not factor into the deal as much, especially if it's a rare variety. Many times variety trumps all other aspects of the coin.

Jwt708 likes this.
  9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I would expect that, with so many coins of this type being value graded, and their various positive and negative attributes, it would be a difficult task to compare your coin against graded coins to arrive at a net grade.

Far better, I think, to technically grade it Fine first (ANACS or PCGS standards), and then net it to VG, or VG+ for the cleaning afterward.

In total, it's a pretty good looking coin, and might eventually take on a pleasing brown look again.

10. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

Let's just say putting it on the ledge of a window for a good time, it will age!

11. BigTee44

The C-2 is listed on PCGS coinfacts as an R7, with approx 200 known to exist.

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/1036

12. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

What does copper quotes say ?

13. BigTee44

who's that?

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That's R7 on the PCGS Rarity scale. On the Sheldon Rarity scale, which is what most people use, that would be an R-4-. Copper Quotes calls it an R-3.

An R-7 would be 4 - 12 known. Big difference.

BigTee44 likes this.
  15. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

Thanks Conder101 Bob

Draft saved Draft deleted