1797 Cartwheel two pence Regal Coinage by Matthew Boulton at Soho Mint

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Larry Moran, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

From photos, without a standard of reference for determining size, the only way I know of to tell them appart is to have a good knowledge of the die varieties. I don't have that.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Looks like a real nice one.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Proper storage of 'special' coins is a problem. Certainly we don't want the rims of a nice coin beat up but it is disturbing that a major TPG is though so poorly of that you could have fooled them into calling the coin something it is not had it been 'conserved'. Do they ever slab AU56 or did you expect to get MS60? Would the same coin slabbed at a grade it does not merit really sell for more than one nicer than its number? Sad. I'll be interested to see your new and improved photo and to know what any camera can do do counteract being shot through a slab.

What choices do we have for coins that don't fit Air Tites? Are there no resealable containers for such coins? Fortunately I don't collect coins that could be called AU or better but I still have some that don't fit well in my open trays (mostly for being too small). Sealed slabs would be my last choice.

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here is a new photo. I should set-up a new photo with florescent lighting and no zoom but I don’t have time until tomorrow. Tonight my sister is hosting a “meet & greet the candidate”. I wonder if Linda McMahon will bring any of her friends from her old World Wrestling Federation/Entertainment. I’ll be taking some photos of the people at the house tonight:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skCKZp-UMX0

Attached Files:

6. andyscouse

andyscouse Collector of Brit stuff

Very nice indeed, Collect!

7. andyscouse

Personally, I think PCGS and the like are great for US coins, but they seem to be inconsistent with UK issues - probably because they're a minority of the coins they see. Nonetheless, Collect's example is a very nice coin, "conserved" or not.

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Thanks Andy. Did you check out my sister's old mansion in the youtube link? It was buillt around 1850 & is nicer than the coin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skCKZp-UMX0

There is a tunnel that goes about 200 yards from the house to the Housatonic river. I wonder if anyone ever metal-detected the tunnel for treasures.

9. andyscouse

I'll check it out when I get home - same problem as Flikr, etc ... can't access from work!

10. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

Very nice coin. Congratulations!

I have the two coins (one penny and two penny) in my british type set. Not in the grade as your's though. I will try to take images this weekend and will share.

Regards,
    Ballabh Garg

11. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

The only difference between the two that I am aware of are, the number of leaves in olive branch britannia is holding. In 2d coins there are 11 leaves while on 1d coin there are 10 leaves.

Regards,
    Ballabh Garg

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are two reasons that it is hard to get a coin with great edges like Larry's. One is that the things are so big that they put quite a hit on each other when the rattle around in a bag. The other is the flans often had little flaws that made an easy place to chip away a hunk. I believe I see such a flaw line on the obverse bottom of Larry's coin between 5 and 6 o'clock. One good hit there and you could get a really ugly hunk out of the edge not all that different from this one I pulled out of a junk box. I selected it because it had good detail while others had better edges and more wear or worse strikes. Obviously we all would rather have a perfect coin but it is interesting what happened to a lot of these along the way. Does anyone have any that were countermarked or engraved with initials? I remember a lot of these in the boxful I got mine from and now wish I had bought a couple of the worst ones (cheap!).

Attached Files:

13. Larry Moran

Larry Moran Numismatographer

LARGER pics

I'll post these larger images so you can have a closer look, since you seem interested in this issue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And they are just plain big and heavy and copper is a soft metal, so if you drop it you are almost assured of getting a rim ding.

15. Larry Moran

Larry Moran Numismatographer

I received another example. : )
    This one is in EF condition.

[​IMG]

16. Prestoninanus

Prestoninanus Junior Member

How much do these go for if you don't mind me asking?

17. Has anyone attempted to catalogue the assortment/varieties of countermarks that appear on 2d & 1d cartwheels?

18. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That is a truly superb Cartwheel in the OP. I love it.

I've had some nice ones, but not that nice.

1797 penny, KM618
    1797 2 pence, KM619

I've had counterstamped and engraved 1d Cartwheels, but never a 2d. Mine were more of the typical quality one sees, perhaps like what you're describing. Below are some nicer engraved ones posted by members on Collectors Universe. The first is from my friend Greg ("savoyspecial"), posted in response to a Civil War-related US 1863 Indian cent I had that was engraved with weapons and military equipment. Greg showed an earlier example on a Cartwheel that would have been engraved during the Napoleonic wars. Then DUIGUY came in and dropped a bombshell with the next two pieces. His first, showing captured military trophies, was done on a Cartwheel (I forget whether it was a 1d or a 2d- I suspect the former.) I forget if the second, which memorialed Lord Nelson, had a Cartwheel copper for a host coin or not. I think so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Interestingly, that military equipment thrown into a heap as apparent trophies seems to be British equipment. Could this have been a French carving done on a British host coin as a taunting reference? I don't know. Nor do I know what battle or action the November 18, 1810 reference alludes to.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted