1797 Cartwheel two pence Regal Coinage by Matthew Boulton at Soho Mint

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Larry Moran, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Larry Moran

Larry Moran Numismatographer

Whether made in 1797 or 1798, all cartwheel coins of this series were dated 1797 like my example. These coins foretold the demise of Conder Tokens; they would soon be outlawed, almost immediately in towns near London, then in the far reaches of northern Scotland and Ireland by 1804.

I hope to add a one penny example someday.

Perhaps you have examples of cartwheel one or two penny coins in your collections. Feel free to post your images. I'd like to see examples as many as possible. : )

[​IMG]

01mikep and Siberian Man like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wow thats neat, like the details on it. Thanks for sharing.

4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

It's funny you posted this as I was just admiring the same coin that you had posted on another site.

It's a very nice example.

5. andyscouse

andyscouse Collector of Brit stuff

A full ounce of copper for your 1d, and two ounces in the 2d! That made for quite some hefty coinage!

Because of their size they can often come with rim damage, so a really nice undamaged example is prized ... but the design is very innovative, and really marks the beginning of change in UK coinage from the earlier coinage and the new "Great Recoinage", begun in earnest in 1816. The Soho mint also made copper between 1805 and 1807 (and a unique 1808 penny), but in smaller size, more akin to the copper pennies of George IV onwards.

Since that date (1797), Britannia remained on all pennies right up until the proof penny of 1970, the last £sd penny struck (She had been on copper halfpennies since about 1673). Thereafter, Britannia moved to the 50p coin from 1969 until 2008. Last year marked the first year in over 200 years that Britannia was not portrayed on any current circulating UK coin.

I don't yet have an example, but will one day ...

6. Duke Kavanaugh

I have 3 but I'd trade them all for Larry's 1 :D

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

funny!! ;)Here's mine, I'm surprised that you just don't see too many of these. Of course there's always a fresh supply on the bay!! Post em' ppl I'm curious to see how many collectors have these. The price is going up as we speak!! :D

BTW, I may list mine as an error, see all the red??

Attached Files:

8. andyscouse

Do you have any of the 2d coins?

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

After about 1809 Britain once again had yet another coin shortage that lasted until 1817. During that period some even larger copper pieces were struck. There were several different issues of thee pence tokens that contained over 2 1/2 oz of copper, and one workhouse issued a copper sixpence that contained five ounces of copper.

10. andyscouse

It makes you wonder how general day-to-day commerce was transacted! I mean, no real silver since the late C18th until 1816, no copper for similar time!

11. Duke Kavanaugh

All of mine are the 2 ounce ones so I think that is the 2d right?

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

That first coin is very impressive. I have a few of these but lower quality. I got them in large lots and kept them, (well I keep most everything), because they were interesting. Pretty common relatively in low grade but in yours they are scarce, especially without rim dings like you said.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have nothing to add except this photo of a very ordinary example of the 1d. Can you tell the denomination from the photo? The only way I can is comparing to my 2d but I suspect there must be a trick???

Attached Files:

14. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

This is the 2 pence I found on the riverbank near where I live. Not much left to it. The reverse is completely smooth. All that is evident is the ghost of King George lll and a counter mark:

[​IMG]

15. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Larry: I love the almost flawless edges on your coin.

g.

16. andyscouse

Yes, that's the 2d!

17. andyscouse

Not sure exactly how to tell them apart. There's probably some subtle difference (like you can with sovs and half-sovs, in the relative size of the portrait) ... but these aren't my specialty.

BTW - the original pic is a gorgeous example (I can't see many of the pics while at work - those stored on photo-sharing sites).

18. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

This is my 2 Pence dated 1797.

Excuses are no excuse...... but the photo is terrible. I bought the coin at CoinFest & then immediately handed it to PCGS at the same show to have it slabbed for its own protection. So many of these huge coins have rim bumps & this one was crisp & clean. I'll try to take a better photo now that I own a decent camera. (I'll blame the old photo on my old camera & not the photographer).

Attached Files:

19. andyscouse

That looks a very nice example indeed - wise choice to protect it!

20. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

It is a great high-grade coin. However, maybe it was a semi-wise choice to protect it when I did.

You know how old copper coins are alive & their surfaces change over time? This coin had been stored for some time & it had become a little dull. I saw this as I was giving it to PCGS but I had a free certificate & they were right there so shipping was free. The coin probably should have been carefully wiped-off with some cotton or a brush before submitting it to PCGS. I was standing in the lobby of the Hilton Hotel at CoinFest & I just gave it to the PCGS man. Hindsight is 20:20. I honestly think it would have graded a little higher if it had been properly conserved before handing it to PCGS.

21. andyscouse

Well, still a good thing though - and as you say, it was a free submission and no shipping at the time. And for this issue, AU55 is excellent!

I should probably get my Wreath crowns slabbed or something - they really shouldn't be stored in 2x2s what with their size, heft and nice rims! I do have the 1934 in an airtight, but the others are in 2x2s ...

Draft saved Draft deleted