1797 2 Pence with HH Counterstamp

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by KarlB, Mar 9, 2019.

1. KarlB

KarlB Active Member

2-Pence Obverse 1797 H.H Counterstamped.jpg 2-Pence Reverse 1797 H.H Counterstamped.jpg
    Please help--I just received this beautiful 2-Pence, but am not having any success in researching the HH counterstamp on both the obverse and reverse of this British coin. The coin carries the SOHO mint mark under the shield.

Thank you much in advance.

Bayern and BRandM like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

The HH looks like a merchant stamp to me, Karl. It's not unusal to find these old cartwheel coins, especially the Pennies, counterstamped with crowned initials or symbols used by manufacturers to mark their products. Most are difficult to attribute although there is some information about them online. I'll look around and see if I can come across a site for you to check out.

Here's an example I have in my collection.

Bruce

(Crown) WC 1.JPG

4. BRandM

Yours is a small stamp, Karl, so is likely a silversmith, silverplater, or cutlery mark. Here's a few websites that might be of help.

www.925-1000.com
    www.silver collection.it
    www.sheffield records online.org.uk

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Bruce

5. KarlB

KarlB Active Member

Thanks Bruce.

The merchant stamp is what I was figuring. I appreciate your feedback.

Do you know what merchant the crowned WC is attributed to? Nice coin. And what coin is this? I really like the Old World Coppers.

More history to study.

6. BRandM

No I don't know who issued the crowned WC coin, Karl. I bought it from a man who specialized in old copper, and he didn't know either. I liked it despite that, so bought it from him. The coin is a 1797 English cartwheel penny.

Bruce

KarlB likes this.
  7. KarlB

KarlB Active Member

British merchant countermarks--a whole different branch of Numismatics!

This is why I like coins...

Draft saved Draft deleted